Souls and spirits

Blake PoV

I was still reeling from Eden's video message and the ramifications I had for us all when Jace and I had been rendered unconscious. If I was pissed off then my anger had reached a rare high right now. My entire body throbbed with pain as I fell from nowhere and landed hard on an invisible surface.

I moved to sit on my bruised ass and took in my surroundings and sighed. "The fucking void, I should have known" I muttered to myself when I realised where I had ended up. I'd been here a few times in my life and there was always a magical reason for it. I despised that my immortality still had weaknesses and that witches like Amara could outwit me. There has never been another person, or at least their soul or spirit whatever the fucj state we existed in on this plane. But my eyes widened as a bulk of mass hurtled through the darkness above me and landed a few metres away from me.

A part of me wanted to chuckle at the irony of it all but a bigger part of me wasn't shocked at all. We'd been knocked out together, by the same witch so it was only natural that we'd ended up close by in the void too.

"For fucks sake" Jace grunted angrily as he dusted himself off and stood up. He slowly peered around at the place before his eyes landed upon me. "Where the hell are we?" He asked as he joined me, offered me a hand to stand up and frowned.

"Welcome to the void. The place where lost souls and spirits go when they aren't quite dead or have unfinished business on earth. It's also used to incapacitate people magically by separating the soul from the body" I tried to explain it in its most simplest form but even that wasn't easy.

"Like a magical holding room?" Jace asked, he caught on faster than I'd expected for a first timer here.

"Exactly"

"Fucking witches" he cursed and furrowed his brows in disbelief at the situation we'd been forced into.

"Careful man, I think our mate might be part witch" I replied with a sigh. Where did we start trying to untangle our mates' unique and complicated supernatural abilities?

"I'm starting to think she's part of everything supernatural. Damn powerful and still so fucking sneaky" it seemed we were in the same thought process with Edens true nature aswell. Maybe the mindlink between us had caused us to become even more in tune with each other's thoughts without having to even voice them.

That was more crazy shit.

We started to walk with nowhere in particular in mind. That was the thing about the void, until it wanted to show you something there was nothing but pitch black that surrounded you every way you looked.

Left, right, up, down it was all the same, just a dark gaping space of nothingness. Yet somehow you could see where you were going without straining your eyes or using enhanced supernatural vision.

It was so fucking strange and no matter how many times I ended up here, I never had a better understanding of it.

"So I assume you've been here before?" Jace commented as we wandered along.

"Yeh a couple of times. Usually when I pissed the wrong person off. My dad mostly. When vampires are transitioning this is where they come. Their souls end up here and their body dies and the blood and venom of the vampire takes over. Once the process is completed they awake in their new state" Jace cringed as I talked about the process of how a person turned into a vampire and I knew he was thinking about his sister.

"Sounds like a really weird place to end up " was all he uttered, clearly deep in thought still.

But then it hit me.

"I think this is where Eden's wolf was after Sawyer attacked her. So I'd bet money this is where Eden ended up the night Logan helped her find Ashley again" My words flew out of my mouth faster than usual but I felt like pieces of the puzzle were finally coming together.

"And she didn't mention it at all? Surely being her all alone and totally clueless of where she was would have freaked her out?! Yet she didn't say a damn word" being an alpha wolf, it was in Jace's very dna to protect his mate at all costs.

The fact that Eden could have been here all alone made him feel like he was a shitty mate.

I'd been around wolves enough to know how they ticked and Jace's status as an alpha just heightened that protective instinct over Eden.

I wasn't a werewolf but I felt the exact same way he did. I hated the very thought that she could have been here all by herself, scared and confused and I didn't do a thing to help her through it.

"Why didn't she mention it?" That was the million dollar question. When I thought back to that night it occurred to me that she hadn't actually said a great deal about what happened when Logan put her in that trance-like state. She'd found her wolf and was elated at that but she'd been very evasive about any of the finest details about the process. I pushed that thought to Jace via our connection and heard his growl to himself after a few seconds of thinking it over in his own mind.

"She's hiding more stuff from us" he concluded bitterly.

That statement left a very nasty taste in my mouth too but my gut told me that we were right. Eden had been hiding things from us again and I couldn't think why on earth she kept doing this to us. I tried to swallow down the hurt that licked at my heart like red hot flames and focused on discovering what was going on and why we'd been truly sent here. We had to focus and find out whatever we could rather than wallow in our feelings and dwell on things we couldn't change right now, no matter how much we wanted to.

"People used to think the void was a place of endless magical capability. Some people believed that meditation would send them here. Others walked the line between life and death. Hallucinogenic drugs, anything that elevated their spirit from their bodies, or they just lost their minds for a period of time. But people tried anything and everything to pay a visit to this shithole" perhaps the more we analysed this place the more answers we'd find.

"Why didn't they just use magic? The supernatural beings I mean" he posed a good question.

"Because regardless of how you try, you don't always end up here. Not magically. It's like there are levels of the void in a similar way to levels of your mind. The stronger your link to the supernatural world or magic, the more likely you are to end up in a higher level of the void. Basic levels are a similar state to dreaming. Even nightmares. Then there's meditation and that kind of thing that takes you to a more harmonious, peaceful place. But the highest level acts like a portal" all of my knowledge of the Void slipped into my head and I reeked it off as best I could to Jace who nodded as he listened and tried to take it all in without letting it all blow his brain like some people would. It was a hell of a lot to absorb and some of it sounded insane.

"A portal?" Jace stopped suddenly and repeated in a stunned tone that matched the expression on his face.

It was then I knew we'd hit his limit for a moment and he needed some time to process everything I'd told him.

He opened his mouth to say something then closed it. Blinked several times then went to speak again but just shook his head. I had definitely overloaded the poor guy.

"I know, it's fucking insanity but apparently you can see things from the past, present or the future. The Void shows you what it wants to inform you of, but you don't get a say in what you see. I've heard it can get pretty crazy" I hadn't experienced that part of the Void myself but I'd heard first hand accounts from several people who had profound moments which changed their lives forever.

Sadly it wasn't always in a positive way but the Void chose to let a person see something that it felt they needed to see. What they did with that knowledge afterwards wasn't the Void's decision. At that point it had served its purpose and moved on.

As we both pondered the enormity and power of the Void we had an all too familiar giggle and two figures appeared about twenty metres ahead of us.

"Eden" we both uttered in unison. There was no denying how equally shocked we sounded. I greedily took in the form of our mate, from her long wavy blonde hair, her soft lightly tanned skin and her figure that was definitely not heavily pregnant with twins. My eyes travelled to her outstretched slender yet powerful arm then to her hand and my blood boiled.

My vision turned the most vivid blood red and was overcome with fury that I couldn't stop myself from sprinting forwards at the man who had a tight, affectionate grasp on Eden's hand.

He was a dead man.