Rage of fire

Jace PoV

Eden fell asleep not long after the conversation with Cole. Blake and I had curled around on either side of her cocooning our mate in the safety of our love. I was exhausted too and I drifted off in a dreamless state the moment my head hit the pillow and Eden's sweet scent engulfed me.

Sadly that didn't last too long and I awoke to darkness outside and an ache in my neck as though I'd slept in a funny position. I gave my neck a good stretch, glanced to my left and saw Blake sat up, his back against the headboard and one hand gently caressing Eden's blonde locks. Over and over again he let the strands of hair drop through his fingers then he gathered it up again and did the same thing as if he was soothing himself with the action as much as he was her. His brows were furrowed and he looked so deep in thought that I hesitated before I spoke.

"You look deep in thought" I whispered as I propped myself up on my elbow and looked directly at him.

"There's been a lot of things to process" he scrubbed his hand over his face and sighed. "And it's just the start of it" he added so quietly it was just a whisper maybe more to himself than me.

But it was very clear he had a lot on his mind, we both had witnessed some majorly crazy shit tonight but tiredness had at least given me a few hours to stop thinking it over. With him being a vampire he didn't rely on sleep in the same way I did so I was fairly sure he hadn't had a moment to halt his thoughts. No, chances were, he'd probably gone over and over the last 24 hours in his head on a loop, the turmoil of Eden's war of emotions, feeling her pain and anger over and over until it must have been driving him crazy.

The poor guy looked mentally and physically exhausted but I thought Blake pretty well at this point so I knew he wouldn't have rested anyway so there was little point telling him to. The next best thing was to distract him and see if he would talk to me.

Not that I was the best at talking about feelings on the greatest of days. But since I'd been with Eden she'd shown me that even if you tried to help someone, sometimes that was enough to get them to open up to you, it might not have always worked on the first attempt but it did help eventually. Being the alpha I wasn't afraid to use any tool I had in my belt to make my pack and my family the happiest and healthiest they could possibly be.

"Shall we take the next patrol? Perhaps your sister could come sit with Eden?" Having sensed this wasn't the best place to discuss things when our mate was getting some much needed sleep I climbed out of bed and began to pull on some more suitable clothes.

"Yeh sure nah sounds good" Blake nodded and gently smoothed Eden's hair back from her face, as we'd spoken she'd moved a little and a few strands of her hair had fallen across her face.

"I'm pretty sure she's gonna be fast asleep for a while so chances are we'll be back before she realises we've gone" I couldn't help but smile to myself as I gazed down at our very own sleeping beauty. My eyes raked down her covered silhouette to her rounded stomach and a sense of overwhelming happiness hit me like butterflies that danced deep in my belly. Despite the carnage and chaos we faced, I still felt joy whenever I looked at Eden, I knew that feeling would be with me until the end of time.

"Daisys on her way" Blake told me and placed a chaste kiss upon Eden's forehead before he got to his feet and slipped on his clothes too.

By the time we were both ready to go on patrol Daisy had arrived and taken a seat on the chair beside the bed, her legs tucked under her butt and a heavy book in her hands.

"I appreciate your help Daisy" My words were nothing more than a whisper as I looked across the bed at her before I gave Eden a soft kiss on her lips and tucked the covers around her.