Torture

Jace PoV

I'd tried to comfort Eden but she laid on the bed with her eyes tightly closed whilst tears slipped through her long lashes and down her face in a silent yet deeply sad, somber state. She hadn't said a word since her parents had left and I couldn't blame her.

Last time it was her father that had the problem with me being mates with her and now her mother had as much of an issue with Blake. Sure I didn't like the guy much but it was clear to anyone how much he loved Eden and how happy she was when he was around.

Wasn't that what was important, Eden's happiness?

Then it hit me like a jab to the gut. I had been acting just like them. I hated the fact Blake was Eden's mate aswell and I'd made my thoughts very clear.

I had been so selfish I had been thinking about my feelings and nobody else's and it had taken Eden's parents appalling behaviour to notice my own.

In fact I'd put my hands up to being a possessive, jealous idiot and say I was also acting like a toddler throwing a tantrum because he didn't want to share his favourite toy.

But Eden was no toy.

She was an amazing, intelligent, strong and beautiful woman and not only was I lucky enough to be able to bask in her glorious presence, but I got to call this magnificent woman my mate.

I hated seeing her hurting so much and right then and there I knew I'd do anything to ease her pain.

The door pushed open a crack and I turned my head from my space beside Eden on the bed to see who was there before going to greet them.

"Hey thanks for coming" I said in a little more than a whisper to avoid Eden being disturbed

"No worries she's our best friend" Skylar reassured me looking around me to check in her friend.

"Shit. How long has she been like that?" Skylar cursed returning her focus to me and Harry.

"3 hours"

"Does she know about Sawyer?" Skylar whispered so quietly I could barely hear her standing right next to her

"No it's over. She doesn't need to know right now" I shook my head back and forth. Bringing her abusive bastard of a brother was the last thing she needed right now.

"You go do your job and leave her with us. Devon is going to pop over soon to check her over too" Harry tried to smile in order to ease my concerns but it failed.

As much as I wanted to curl around Eden and be there while she was upset I had a feeling she needed some time with her best friends right now. They'd been through thick and thin together and were more like siblings than friends at this point.

I watched as the two kind friends slid into the bed in either side of Eden and each kissed her head before enveloping her in their joint embrace and nestling deep in her mattress with her.

They didn't say a word but I noticed how Eden shuffled around to get closer to them both before exhaling like she'd been holding her breathe for ages.

I could see through the covers how her body relaxed against her friends and their strength and love gave her enough comfort to ease the tension that had coiled up in her body like a spring.

I nodded to Harry to show my appreciation before leaving them to it and shutting the door.

I cracked my knuckles hard and felt the air suck into the gap in between the joints and how the bones snapped back together with a renewed strength in my hands. My fingers flexed in and out into fists as I walked with purpose towards my destination.