You promised me

Jace PoV

"Eden you know deep down in your heart I would never have left you if I didn't have too. There was no choice, we would all be dead if I'd stayed. Or he would  have made me suffer in the worst way possible: by killing you both. So much shit went on that it's hard to know where to start. It's so difficult to explain, but you have to believe me- Not all of your memories are your own!!  Issac convinced you of things that simply aren't true. He needed to divide the three of us, together we were getting too powerful for him to control, even though we were just kids! " Cole pleaded with Eden to understand the reasons why he left her and Sawyer behind.

"You promised me you'd always protect me" Eden whispered so quietly if it wasn't for my supernatural hearing I wouldn't have heard her. But despite the quietness of her voice the pain was deafeningly obvious.

When Cole left, in her mind he'd broken that promise and in doing so he'd broken her heart too.

Eden was just a little kid at the time, she couldn't have seen the complexity of the situation. All she saw was her big brother leaving her. I didn't need a mate bond to know how truly devastating that had been for her.

"I didn't have a choice, Eden. I could barely look after myself, you two were so little still... goddess I swear that taking you with me would have been a death sentence for you. A death sentence that would have been my fault!" !" Cole wasn't fazed that myself and Blake heard his anguished pleas.

It was obvious his sole aim was to talk to Eden and try to explain his past actions and you could tell how much that decision had eaten away at him.

The love he had for his little sister was crystal clear but Eden's pain prevented her from seeing it.

But right now she needed Cole more than ever and in truth, we all needed him. He knew things we had no clue about and not only that but he had brought a small but strong group of wolves with him that would boost our numbers and aid us in any battle that might occur.

As Cole explained things, Eden slowly started to calm down and she looked at him with less hostility in her beautiful blue eyes.

I mean he wasn't completely forgiven but at least she didn't look like she wanted to murder him with her bare hands anymore!

"I know this isn't something that you can get over this second, I know I need to earn your trust and love again, and I will do everything in my power to make it up to you and prove myself to you. But right now we have to put that aside and work together. I need you to trust me about this, if not anything else. I will die protecting  you and the twins, if you can't believe anything else then please believe that" Cole's final words seemed to put a huge dent in the barricade that Eden had put up to him.

I saw her squeeze her eyes shut for a few seconds,she drew in a shaky deep breath before she opened her eyes again and although she'd stopped the tears from falling, she couldn't hide the glossy tone of her gaze.

"I believe you. But I don't want you to die Cole" she admitted as she held his stare. His bright blue eyes against her exact same eyes.

"I'll do my best not to die then" Cole said with a soft chuckle that broke the intensity that had bounced between them.

"That would be perfect" Eden retorted with an eye roll and a tiny smile.

"Sorry to be the big brother here but it's important. How often have you been feeding on human blood?" Cole questioned her bluntly. His brows furrowed as he stared at his sister, being a big brother myself I knew that look too well, He already knew the answer to that question.

I was just curious why he'd asked in the first place.

"I have a blood bag when I feel hungry" she shrugged nonchalantly.

That news came as a shock to me because I was under the impression she'd been having at least two to three  blood bags every day which was what she'd been advised to do during pregnancy.

Neglecting her vampiric side would have had huge implications on her and no wonder she lost control so easily when her emotions were overloaded by Sawyers murder.

How she was controlling the weather was well beyond me but when it came to my mate nothing surprised me at the limits of her strength and capabilities.

She was unlike anyone else I had ever met in my life and I was forever in awe of her. But that didn't mean I wasn't furious that she'd not been feeding properly.

"You can't stay in control of your supernatural abilities if they are being neglected, Eden. You need to feed daily, blood bags are fine but fresh human blood, straight from the vein would be much better. At least twice a week in order to maintain the status quo within you" Cole lectured her but it was very clear how much he cared.

"How do you know all this stuff when you are a wolf? It's not like you have to deal with this juggling act all the time" Eden groaned rolling her eyes at him again.

"I've been around enough supernatural beings to know a thing or two. I might be a wolf but I'm still your eldest brother and once you have those babies I will kick your ass if you don't do what you 're told!" He joked around and nudged her hip with his.

As I watched them it reminded me of how Sawyer and Eden interacted and I saw glimmers of their own sibling bond as it shone between them.

"Well excuse me if I'm not up to date on some of your wonderful travels, big brother. It's not like you posted it all on insta for us to see" she taunted him with his absence but then smiled to let him know she wasn't being serious.

"not with your real name anyway" she added with extra snark.

Goddess it was clear these two were siblings, their squabbling was a better confirmation than a dna test.

But seeing my mate tease Cole gave me hope that the tragic murder of Sawyer couldn't be in vain and it wouldn't drag Eden down and destroy her.

I'd do anything to stop that from happening, even if it meant burning the world down to do so.