Absolute insanity 🩸

Jace PoV

My throat felt so dry I could barely swallow. The dryness caused my throat to constrict and it hurt so much I growled as I tried to sit up in bed. The natural light of the winter wasn't at all bright, in fact it had a grey tinge to it til the way it reflected off of the snow on the ground. But it caused me to screw my eyes up like I was gazing up at the sun at midday in the height of a summer heatwave.

I put my hand over my eyes for a moment just until I could gather my senses and my hand made contact with a sheen of cold sweat that laid across my forehead.

Was I too hot?

Or maybe I was too cold?

Somehow I wasn't able to figure that out but the intense throb that had begun to pulse between my temples took most of my attention anyway.

I moved my hand away and had the sudden urge to find a particular thing, something I knew would relieve all of these abnormal things my body felt.

But what was it?

I felt so confused.

My mind felt so strange. Memories and thoughts floated around in no order at all and no matter how hard I tried to think what this thing I needed was, I struggled. 

But my mouth... my mouth felt so dry that my gums stuck to my teeth and my lips were hard and cracked.

There was always something to cure that wasn't there?

Something that would moisten my mouth and coat my throat with a layer of protection from the desert like dryness.

"Think Jace. For fucks sake think" I scolded myself and grabbed the ends of my hair and tugged in frustration.

Water!!! 

Yes, that was it. I usually had a bottle of water on my nightstand so my eyes shot sideways to check the table and my body followed too.

But there was no water. Yet my mouth salivated  like a dog and I licked my lips in anticipation of the sweet taste of the liquid I saw.

I needed it so badly every cell in my body yearned for it like it was the most important thing I'd ever laid my eyes upon.

My eyes closed and I inhaled to take in the copper laced tones of the claret red blood that sat in piles in front of me. I stared at it, just admiring a thing of such beauty and power.

I was mesmerised.

"Jace, I hate to rush you but we don't have much time to waste. Who knows what the fuck Eden is going through at the hands of those bastards" Blake stood beside me and spoke with urgency but I detected a sense of sorrow in his tone too.

His eyes flitted from the blood bag that had somehow made its way into my hand and back up to my face.

"I'm sorry man, it can't be an easy choice to make" he shook his head at my predicament. The more he spoke the more clear my mind became.

Eden injected me with her blood then killed me. If I didn't drink human blood I would be dead by dark fall.

It sounded like such a simple decision to make.

Eden was immortal.

Blake was immortal.

Our children would be immortal too.

Yet I was a wolf, partly human and I'd die one day.

The odd one out.

The liability.