Chapter 23: Battle Scars

~14 days until the Prophecy~

Fliss

She couldn't sleep.

Maybe it was because thunder was booming across the whole city, seeming to shake the ground and making the window rattle, or maybe it was the fact that all she could hear was shadows whispering in the dark.

Being a Necromancer was terrifying.

It felt like she was never alone (not that that feeling was new).

It scared the crap out of her.

She shifted in her bed, trying to find comfort in the empty space. She grabbed a pillow and buried her face into it, only to find that it still smelled like Alex, making her sigh.

She wondered if he was okay.

She shivered as lighting flashed outside, filling her apartment with a blinding light.

"This is ridiculous. I'm twenty three for God's sake." she hissed, flinging her pillow across the room. It landed with a quiet thud! on the other side of the room.

She fell on her back and stared at her blank ceiling.

Maybe if she started to count sheep it would help her get drowsy.

She shut her eyes.

One sheep, two sheep, three sheep---"

CRASH!

She screamed as something--no--someone flew straight through her window, shattering the glass and sending shards everywhere. She covered her face and dove under her duvet, shielding herself.

"Ughhhh....." groaned a familiar familiar voice.

"Alex?" Fliss whispered, peeking over the top of her duvet.

"Felicity...."

She gasped as she saw Alex lying on the floor in a heap, blood everywhere. He was struggling to get up, his hand reaching out for her. She threw her duvet off her and sprinted to his side as he collapsed.

"Jesus Alex! What the heck happened to you?" she asked anxiously as she knelt down beside him.

"Lucifer....." moaned Alex.

"Shhhh." Fliss said soothingly, brushing his sweaty hair from his forehead.

"Everywhere hurts.....my head...." he coughed weakly and started to shiver.

"Hey, you're okay. You're okay." she said lightly, pressing her lips against his softly, making him relax.

"Kissing helps." he murmured as she pulled away.

"Kissing helps a lot." he added cheekily.

If he wasn't in so much pain, she would have slapped him.

"Let's get you cleaned up, alright? Can you move?" Fliss asked.

He propped himself up on his elbows, but the effort seemed to drain him, and he fell down seconds later.

"Shit." he mumbled.

Fliss laughed quietly.

"Hang in there for a sec, I'll be right back with a first aid kit or something."

"No! Don't leave!" Alex groaned, grabbing her arm and using all his strength to pull her back.

"Alex you need to be treated." she said tiredly, shaking him off.

"Don't go. Stay here." he said, begging her.

She rolled her eyes and kissed him again.

"I'll be five seconds max." she said as she pulled away, and he sighed.