Chapter 47: The Aftermath

Fliss

As the sun rose over the ruins of the city, Fliss sat alone on a single bench that somehow had survived the complete and utter mayhem and chaotic deconstruction that had happened there in the past twenty four hours.

She watched as the first rays of light hit what was left of the tallest building in the city, and sighed as the light slowly crept over the remains of Baltimore, revealing new dead allies and random body parts.

The sky was golden, and the whole world was silent as the aftermath of the war settled upon them. All the enemies had scattered and dispersed and were to be found and tried once the Other World got itself back into shape.

News would spread all over the world of a supernatural disaster that had destroyed the city of Baltimore in twenty four hours, and the mortal police and detectives were sure to arrive soon to try and explain the unexplainable.

But right now, no mortals were here to disturb the peace.

Her backup sword lay on her right side, the blood from her final kill almost dry. The circlet with what was left of Immundus lay on her left side. She didn't quite know what to do with it yet.

She shut her eyes as the sun finally rose high enough to hit her face, sending warmth through her. She felt her body start to absorb the energy, and she sighed as she felt herself start to regenerate.

The fluttering of wings above her broke her state of peace, and she opened her eyes and looked up, only to find Gabriel and a half a dozen angels circling the area, looking for more bodies of the Fallen. A graveyard was being set up where the museum used to be, and many bodies were already lined up, including Jack's, Rosaline's and Zack's.

She would visit them later when she was ready.

The sun had nearly completely risen when she turned her attention back to it, and soon she would have to shield her eyes from it so she wouldn't go blind. She sighed and sat back, her body sore and tired. All she wanted was to sleep and never wake up, but she had a city to clean.

She stood up and stretched, her legs still aching, but not as much as the aching in her chest. She grabbed her sword and sheathed it in her belt behind her and she grabbed the circlet and shoved it into her pockets before hobbling off into the heart of the city.

Upon her movement, Gabriel fluttered down from the sky and landed on the ground softly beside her.

"I didn't want to disturb you on the bench, but I have news for you." he said quietly as she walked forward slowly.

She nodded, indicating that she was listening.

"The merpeople have sent you a message saying that the sea monsters retreated when Immundus fell. They want to thank you for killing him and that they are sorry about the loss of Alexander." he said, his voice cautious.

Fliss nodded again.

"I will send them a proper thanks once we have finished here." she said bowing her head.

"I will leave you be." he said quietly, but Fliss grabbed his arm.

"Wait." she said, and he turned back, his eyes confused.

"I...uhmm...I want to say thank you." she said awkwardly.

"You stood by me until the very end. You were there with me when I fell, when I lost hope....you helped me to keep going, Gabriel. I am forever in your debt." she gushed, and Gabriel smiled.

He broke away from her grip and knelt before her, bowing his head.

"You are an honour to serve." he said and despite it all, Fliss felt her face flush.