Chapter 2: Confrontation From The Shadows

Fliss

To her surprise, she hadn't been fired from Starbucks. Turns out that a lot of people were late this morning, and the boss was being a little more lenient towards the employees because of the bad weather.

She had tried everything, but nothing could distract her from the memory of what had happened in the lane this morning. The more she thought about it, the more she realised that she had seen that man before.

He lived around her apartment block, definitely. She had seen him once driving a car with some old guy in the passenger seat, and there had been some weird classical music blaring through the car window.

And wasn't there that time when he had held the door open for her in the apartment building?

Or how about that time when he had asked for directions off her?

"Yo, Fliss, where's the caramel frappé for some dude named John?" yelled Eliza, snapping her out of her deep thoughts.

She sighed.

"Coming up now." she grumbled, fumbling for the blender.

She really hated this job. But it was only temporary until her art business took off.

Temporary.

At least that's what she told herself.

She finished the making the frappe and placed it on the counter.

"Caramel frappe for John!" she yelled.

The man looked up and grinned at her, but his smile sent shivers down her spine. He wore dark sunglasses, and a Yankees cap sat on his small head.

"Thank you." he said, his voice low.

She squinted slightly at the man.

"You're welcome?" it came out more like a question.

"You know, you shouldn't have left that coin in your jacket pocket." the man said, his grin widening.

Fliss froze, her heart rate starting to speed up.

"I don't know what you're talking about." she said coolly.

The man laughed bitterly.

"Now, now, Miss Potts, it would be best you if you didn't lie to me." he said haughtily.

Fliss started to slowly back away from the counter.

"I suggest you don't back away from me either." he added, taking his dark shades off his face, revealing a pair of black eyes.

She gasped.

"Who are you?" she asked, her hands beginning to shake.

"I am the death bringer." he hissed, and then she screamed as the man started to shift and a black shadow took his place.

She wasn't the only one to scream though, the whole coffee shop was being attacked by these...these shadows, and Fliss ducked as one zoomed over her head.

What was happening?

She peered over the counter and saw people sprinting for the door, tables turned over, chairs broken, coffee spilt all over the floor, all this caused by these creatures that Fliss just couldn't explain.

She jumped over the counter and started make her way towards the door, but then a mug flew out of nowhere and smacked her in the face. She yelled and stumbled back, warm blood starting to gush from her nose.

Shit.

She was stumbling around blindly now, people pushed past her, desperately, trying to escape from this Hell on earth. When she was knocked over, she didn't try to get up again. She curled up into a ball and surrendered, too overwhelmed to go on.