Chapter 31: The Phone Call

~8 Days Until The Prophecy~

Fliss

CLINK!

CLINK!

CLINK!

"Come on Alex, you can do better than that!" she panted as she swung her sword at his shoulder. He dropped to a roll and she yelled in frustration as her blade dug itself into the ground.

With one almighty tug, she wrenched it out of the ground and swung it at him again, but he defended himself and gave her a satisfied smirk.

"Too slow, Miss Potts!" he taunted pushing her back with such force she went stumbling back.

She laughed and shook her head, sprinting full force back at him like a boomerang, catching him off guard.

She swiped her sword sneakily at his shins, cutting him only slightly, making him fall to his knees in surprise.

She smiled triumphantly and rested her sword against the back of his sweating neck.

"Checkmate." she gasped, out of breath, but satisfied.

Alex sighed.

"Are you sure this is your first time picking up a sword, Miss Potts?" he asked as she sheathed her sword into her belt.

She held out a hand for Alex to take, and he took it, pulling himself up before sheathing his sword too.

"Well, my dad used to take me fencing—"

"Ah-ha! Case closed." he said, wagging a finger in her face. He took a flask from his hip pocket and took a swig from it, sighing contently.

"Whiskey is a man's best friend, just like diamonds are a girl's. Never forget that." he said, tossing the flask to her. She caught it and rolled her eyes, taking a swig.

"I'm not sure about that. I've never craved a diamond in my life. Whiskey, on the other-hand, is definitely a different story...." she trailed off and tossed the flask back at him.

He raised a bushy eyebrow.

"I didn't know you were quite the little drinker." he chuckled.

She shrugged.

"I have many layers that you don't know about."

She pushed past him, trying to play it off cool, and headed to the lake nearby.

She could hear his footsteps bounding after her and soon enough, he was beside her, walking in step with her.