Chapter 33: Peace Is A Sweet Thing

~6 Days Until The Prophecy~

Alex

The thing about it was, as the days started to pass more quickly, Alex felt like the walls were closing in on him. They were the cold hard concrete walls of the Prophecy, patiently waiting to suffocate him and leave him without Felicity.

It wasn't exactly an exhilarating feeling.

He was well aware that his demon side had informed her of her horrible fate. He had been technically there when it told her, after all. She hadn't tried to contact him since it told her, and he hadn't bothered trying to tell her that everything would be okay. He knew better—she wouldn't want to hear him lie, and it would only pain him to do so anyway.

So instead of spending his final days of peace with her, he was strolling down the streets of Baltimore, trying to keep his wandering mind off the Prophecy. It was a nice day, after all.

Blue skies, beams of sun pounding down on the back of his neck, but not too warm (it was December you know), busy people getting their last few Christmas pieces....

The thought of Christmas made Alex stop short in the middle of the old cobbled street, causing an old lady to mumble something about 'young people' and storming past him, but his mind was elsewhere.

Christmas.

Now, Christmas wasn't exactly considered a celebration in the Other World (according to Professor Dwiggin) but over the years, many Necromancers accustomed and took a great liking to the mortal holiday, and well, let's face it, who couldn't love Christmas?

Strangely enough—although he didn't seem the type—Alex loved Christmas. Chopping down the tree, exchanging presents (liquor in Jack's case) and just being with the people you cared about.

It was such a shame that the damned Prophecy was on the twenty first.

Right before Christmas.

He started to walk again, maybe a little more briskly this time, reflecting his new mood to the world.

Nobody told him to slow down.

It wasn't until he bumped into some unfortunate girl that he realised how fast he was walking.

Luckily, the contact wasn't enough to knock her over, but she did drop the box she was clutching in her mitten covered hands, which Alex picked up, being the gentleman he was.

"Sorry. Didn't see you there." he apologised as he handed the box back to the girl.

To his surprise, instead of scolding him for nearly sending her flying, a relieved look spread on her face.

"Actually, thank you! You're a guy right?" she asked, somewhat breathlessly with a hint of excitement.