Chapter 13: I'm Not Going Anywhere

~22 Days Until The Prophecy~

Fliss

"Where were you last night?"

Fliss blinked as she placed a coffee down on the counter for collection. Eliza was staring at her, a strange look on her face.

"I was out." she said with a shrug.

"So tell me, how did you get those nasty cuts on your face?"

Fliss froze.

"I fell." she lied quickly, avoiding Eliza's eyes.

"You fell?" Eliza asked, her voice unimpressed.

"It was a rather bad fall." she said quietly, determined not to get caught out.

She started to busy herself as she poured a latte into a paper cup, picking it up to frantically check if there was a tick beside the cream box.

"Three people were murdered last night. Two were found floating in the river, one was found in an overturned car. A building was set on fire and a shop window was smashed." said Eliza quickly, stepping in front of Fliss as she placed the coffee on the counter.

"And you're telling me you went out last night?"

Fliss faked a laugh.

"Really Eliza? You think I caused all that chaos?"

Eliza blushed.

"What? Of course not! I..uh...I was just curious. I thought you might have..uh..seen something." she grumbled, pouring milk into a blender.

Fliss felt her stomach unclench with relief.

"You're silly sometimes, you know that Eliza?" she laughed.

Eliza shrugged.

"Whatever. Can you look after the till for a second? I've gotta make this stupid frappé." she grumbled.

Fliss sighed and walked over to the till, grabbing a Starbucks cup and a marker.

"Hello, welcome to Starbucks. What can I get you?" she asked, her voice a boring monotone.

"Hmmm...well, you see, I was wondering if I could have you?"

She felt her heart miss a beat as she looked up and saw Alex, his dark eyes shining at her.

"Hello Felicity." he said, running his tongue over his soft lips.

"What are you doing here? I'm working." she hissed at him.

He tutted at her.

"Not treating your customers very nice are you? Listen, I need to have a quick--eh--talk with you, if you could spare a few minutes." he asked quietly, drumming his fingers in the counter lightly.

She rolled her eyes.

"I'm working, dipshit. And if you haven't noticed, you're holding up the queue." she huffed.

He clicked his tongue impatiently.

"You're being so difficult today." he grumbled.

"And you're being annyoing."

"Look, I just need two minutes of your very busy life."

She looked around and saw Eliza staring at her, her eyes narrowed.

She inhaled sharply.

"We can't talk here." she said, turning her back on Eliza.

Alex rolled his eyes.