Chapter 48: Trials And Errors

Fliss

She knew that many people wouldn't be as happy as her at Alex's return to the world.

But as she strolled into the ruins of the museum-where the Fallen and the wounded were being stored-she couldn't believe how some people reacted.

Many screamed upon his arrival, clutching their children to their chests and swearing rapidly at Alex for causing all this death. Others threw pieces of rubble at him, cursing him for destroying the city.

Fliss had to yell at them to stop, and when they did stop on her orders, they continued to give Alex dirty looks as they walked by. Alex bowed his head, keeping his eyes glued to the floor, and Fliss slipped her hand into his. He gave her a thankful look.

They continued to walk together, both of them looking at all the dead, lined up in sickening, neat, rows. Alex squeezed her hand tighter as they passed the area for young children.

"I killed most of these people, Felicity." he whispered, his voice pained.

Fliss shook her head.

"You didn't kill them Alex. Your Demon did."

"But I didn't stop him. Why didn't I stop him? I should have stopped him. It's all my fault...."

Fliss sighed and kicked the dust on the ground. She couldn't deny it. Most of these deaths were on Alex's ledger.

"Is that....?" Alex let go of her hand as his eyes focused on a body lying on the ground in the distance.

"J-Jack?" he stammered, his face growing pale.

"Alex..." she started, but he was gone before she could finish, and she took a shaky breath as she prepared to face Jack again.

Twink was already kneeling beside him, tears pouring down her face, and by the time Alex reached her, he was crying too, which was rare for Fliss to see. Alex never cried. He was always so composed.

But everybody cries.

No matter how strong they think they are.

So Fliss joined Twink and Alex as they mourned Jack, Zack and Rosaline, who were lined up together. Somebody had shut their eyes, and for a second Fliss stupidly allowed herself to think that they were sleeping.

But she knew better by now.

"J-Jack..." whispered Alex, tears dripping off of his nose.

"Wake up." he said simply, shaking Jack's body.

He didn't stir.

"Come on Jack, don't....don't do this to me....."

"Alex-"

"He's okay. He's only sleeping..."

"Alex don't-"

"Ha ha. You're probably dreaming about blowjobs or something....."

"Alex he's-"

"HE'S NOT DEAD!" Alex screamed suddenly, frightening her as she backed away from him nervously.

He was breathing heavily as he stared at her, his eyes blazing.

But the more he stared at her, the more he calmed down, and the more he calmed down, the more she saw the grief set in on him.

"He's not dead." he whispered quietly.

"He's not dead." she said cautiously, deciding to go with the flow.

"I didn't kill him, did I?" he asked, his voice strained.

She bit her lip.

"I did didn't I?" he asked, his face a mask of pain and remorse.