Chapter 40: The Last Day

~1 Day Until The Prophecy~

Fliss

On the final day of peace, Fliss woke up next to Alex, both of them fully clothed (for once), both of them silent, but awake. When he noticed that she was awake too, he pulled her close, and only then did she notice the dark circles around his eyes. He probably didn't sleep a wink last night due to the passing of Professor Dwiggin. She wished she could comfort him, but she was lost for this one.

"Good morning." he said softly, his eyes drifting from the blank wall in front of him, to her.

"Sleep well?" he asked.

She shrugged.

"Sort of. I had weird dreams." she sighed, sitting up and resting against the headboard.

"Do you....want to do anything today? Say goodbye to any old friends?" Alex asked quietly.

Fliss let out a deep sigh.

"All I want to do is lie here with you all day." she said, her voice truthful.

Alex chuckled.

"I would not mind that at all, actually, I'd be more than happy to do that--but we have friends to talk to, and I have to practise some spells from the Professor's old books...." he trailed off looking glum.

"I'm sorry I couldn't save him." she blurted out suddenly, then burying her face into her hands.

"I tried, I even tried using my magic, but it was hopeless." she mumbled, and then she felt Alex remove her fingers from her face.

"Don't blame yourself Felicity. Nothing would have saved him. And you did more than enough--you kept him alive until I returned home." he said quietly.

Fliss shook her head.

"I just wish he wasn't dead."

Alex gave her a sad look.

"Me too."

Without another word, he jumped out of the bed, pushing back the duvet and held out a hand for her. She took it, and he pulled her out of the bed, and together they walked into the already occupied kitchen, ready to take on the last day of peace.

~

Alex

"Hmmmm....." he hummed as he flicked through Professor Dwiggin's old spell book.

It was an old one, with complicated techniques, and intricate diagrams. Dust covered the pages, and he wasn't surprised when a spider crawled out of spine when he cracked it. It was one of Professor Dwiggin's favourites though, and Alex was determined to try and copy the ways of the Professor.

He frowned and scratched his chin as he examined the instructions on how to make shadow birds that shot dark flames at enemies.

One: In order to create the birds, thou must have experience in making Shadow Horses. Refer to page 3 if thou art unfamiliar with this technique.

Two: Two hands will be needed for this. Thou shall raise them, parallel to each other, and flicking both wrists in sync, bring them together.

Three: If thou succeeds, a bird shall be created in their hands. To create a flaming bird, which is vital in defeating enemies, then follow the next following instructions.

Four: Set bird afire in palm, careful not to burn the entire shadow away. A low heat will allow the shadow to learn how to endure this.

Five: Test the bird by giving it a command. Birds are loyal creatures, and should follow your command with ease.

Alex hummed again and placed the book in front of him, rubbing his palms together in preparation. He was briefly aware of Felicity peeking over the cover of her spell book, trying to sneakily watch him.