Chapter 38: Too Late

~2 Days Until The Prophecy~

Alex

On Wednesday, Alex decided to take a walk downtown to clear his problem-riddled head. He and asked Felicity if she wanted to come, but she had said no, and he didn't bother arguing with her. Instead, Rosaline and Jack came with him, because Jack wanted Alex to throw his frisbee at hot mortal girls for him, and Rosaline just came because she was bored.

They headed down to the beach eventually, deciding to pay a visit to the merpeople and thank them for the weapons they had sent.

But instead of a tranquil and peaceful beach scene they had been expecting, they found a horrible scene being played out in front of them.

Rosaline screamed when she saw it at first, because there was, undoubtedly, an angel lying on the beach with her wings cut off and gold liquid spilling from her chest. Beside her was a mermaid, trapped in a net and flailing helplessly around before becoming still altogether.

"No!" Rosaline screamed, and she ran towards the mythical creatures, Alex sprinting and cursing after her, Jack galloping behind him.

She fell to her knees at the head of the angel while Alex started to free the mermaid who was staring up at him with her doe eyes, pleading at him to go faster.

"Alex she's not breathing!" screeched Rosaline from beside him, her fingers pressed helplessly to the angel's chest.

"I can't feel a pulse! Oh for the life of Gabriel! Karissa, don't do this to me!"

Jack whined and started to lick Karissa's face, but the angel was dead. Alex could sense it, but he didn't have the heart to tell Rosaline, so he busied himself with freeing the mermaid, and when he finally broke through the net, she smiled up at him with thankful eyes. He smiled, and lifted her up in his arms, heading for the water, and she swished her tail in his face as a gesture of appreciation.

Jack followed him, sensing that he needed to leave Rosaline alone, and also, Alex was sure he was quite taken by the mermaids.

He reached the water and put her down into it, she dived straight in, and disappeared underneath the surface before coming back up and resting her head on a smooth rock, beaming at him.

"Thank you, Alexander. You saved my life, you know." she said as about five other curious looking mermaid popped their head up from the water, giggling and smiling at him.

Jack barked and the girls' awwwed at him as he ran into the water, tail wagging, and started to doggy paddle over to them.

"It was no problem, but could you please explain what happened to the angel, Karissa?" asked Alex, his voice sad.

The mermaid bowed her head.

"Some Shape-Shifters kidnapped the both of us. We were to meet with a few friends of ours to discuss this so called 'Great Battle' taking place on Friday, but alas, it was a trap. Some of Immundus' dirty henchmen looking for some trouble." she sniffed angrily, tossing her long brown hair over her shoulder.

"They killed Karissa because she tried to escape, and they put me in that wretched net on the shore and left me for dead."

Alex shook his head.

"You'll get your revenge. I assure you."

She sighed up at him dreamily.

"Perhaps. But how are you Alexander? I've heard many rumours about you lately. Is it true that you saved that mortal girl from her death?" she beamed up at him as if he were Hercules.