Prologue

22nd of January, London, 1515 AD

In the middle of the hidden, cobbled streets of London stood a woman, and next to her stood a young boy, only about six years old, but tall for his age. It was misty tonight, and dark clouds swirled in the sky above their heads.

He felt anxious.

His mother had warned him that tonight, he was to be on his best behaviour, that if he even put a toe out of line, he would be thrown into the cellar for a whole week.

But Alexander had never been afraid of his mother.

He tightened his cloak as the wind started to pick up, and the clouds started to swirl a little faster.

So he was coming.

The famous Necromancer that his mother wouldn't stop ratting on about.

The famous Necromancer that was about to take him away.

He could feel the power of the shadows around him start to build up, and soon enough the shadows started to form a person.

"Good evening Miss Gaskarth, Alexander." the man said as he pulled down the hood of his cloak.

Alex shivered as the man's dark purple eyes glinted at him through the darkness. He felt himself take a step closer towards his mother. No way was he going to let this crackpot take him away.

"Professor Dwiggin, thank you for accepting our request." his mother gushed as she bowed her head graciously.

The old man laughed.

"It is my pleasure. I heard the rumours about your son. Is it true then? Am I right in saying that he can already shadow travel at six years of age?"

His mother nodded curtly.

"Just like his father."

A wide grin spread across Professor Dwiggin's wrinkly face. His lilac eyes turned violet with delight. Shadows started to creep out from behind him.

The man was literally made out of dark powers.

Alex could sense the rolls of black magic radiating off him.

"He needs to learn how to control it before it kills him. I don't want what happened to my husband to happen to him--"

"Do not fret, Charlotte. I will teach your son to control it."

His mother exhaled.

"Thank the heavens he'll be safe." she sighed, but Professor Dwiggin raised a bushy eyebrow.

"I cannot guarantee Alexander's safety. There are many other Necromancers who have heard of Mister Gaskarth's incredible and dark powers. I have heard that even the famous Immundus is after him...."

Alexander heard his mother inhale sharply.

"So Immundus has returned then?"

Alex looked up at the mention of the name Immundus.

Immundus was a legend. No other Necromancer could even compare to him.

So why was he after him?

The old man bowed his head.

"I promise I will do what I can to protect Alexander." he said firmly, placing a strong hand on Alex's shoulder. Alexander looked up awkwardly at the hairy old mad man.

"I cannot avoid the prophecy though, Miss Gaskarth. You know that I can't." he added slowly, talking in a hushed voice.

Alexander shivered at the sudden lowness of his voice.

"But we can surely postpone it." his mother said quickly.

The old man shrugged.

"But for how long? Prophecies cannot be avoided forever."

"Mum, I'll be fine." said Alexander, speaking up.

The two adults stared down at him, seeming only to remember that he was actually there.

His mother bent down and pulled him into a tight embrace.

"Stay safe, Alexander." she whispered into his ear.

He nodded, still not seeing why this was such a big fuss. He was too excited to care. Finally he was going to be able to control the shadows!

But there was something that was horribly off about this night, like his mother was being forced to send him away.

But as Professor Dwiggin's grip tightened on his shoulder and the streets of London started to fade away, the scenery being replaced with black shadows, Alexander felt his anxious thoughts disappear.

But this was all many years ago, and only five hundred years later would Alexander find out just how much that prophecy would affect his life.

~

A/N: This is either going to be the best or worst thing I have ever written in fanfic.