Chapter 2

I opened the cafe doors and was greeted by Dorothy. She was like a mother to me. Ever since I applied to work here as a cashier she always took care of me and told me stories of when she was my age.

 I'm so glad to have a mother figure like her in my life. She's an amazing woman and I'm so thankful at least someone is showering me with love.

"Hello dear, how are you?" she asked while pulling me in for a hug. I'm good, thank you" I said. "I'm very sorry my dear, I heard about your night shift I wish I could help-"

"No, it's fine Dorothy. You should go home and get some rest" I said while smiling at her. "Aw, you are such an angel, Athena". No Dorothy, the only angel I see is you, you will never understand how much you've helped me.

"I must get going, you sure you will be fine on your own, dear?" she asked me. I felt so bad for her and really wanted her to know that I was fine. "Yes, I'm very sure. Thank you" I said. I put my bag down and got my apron and tag on.

She left a minute later and I was bored to death. Surprisingly, there was no one here today. I mean it is the holidays and it's not like people are going to stay in the boring town for a long weekend so it's understandable.

 I wish I had somewhere to go to for the holidays. I've always been want to travel, but since I'm saving for college I cant do that. Michael will always visit his mum back in Chicago and I have no one because I spend holidays and weekdays working, I have no friends. Yes, I admitted it.

I took out my phone and started scrolling through the internet, finding any article that catches my attention to cure my boredom. This was something I would not be able to do on normal working days or I would be fired like anyone would. 

After a few minutes, I chucked my phone on the seats and decided to check if there was anyone here.

I walked along the long hallway. Honestly, this place gives off 'kidnapping and murdering' vibes. The ugly shade of brown walls and the smelly toilet stench really brought it out. I reached  in front of Mr. Berry's door and knocked on it. 

He is the owner of this cafe and also one of the rudest people I know. He for some reason hates the shit out of me and always gives me unnecessary shifts like today. That's where Dorothy comes in and always defends me and helps me get lesser shifts. I can't thank her enough.

I stood outside his door for awhile and decided to peep in through the windows of the room. I couldn't see very well but I didn't hear any movement which showed that he wasn't there. 

I sighed and walked away and decided to wipe down some tables before I get in trouble for not cleaning even though I'm the cashier. As I said, Mr. Berry hates the living existence of me.

Since I was alone and there was no one around, I decided to hum 'fake smile' by Ariana Grande and wipe down the crusty tables. 

After wiping down a line of tables and chairs I was exhausted.  I decided to head back to the cash register and find something to entertain myself with.

While walking back, the lights in the cafe started gently flickering. I looked outside at the power box and saw no one there. Negative thoughts were racing through my mind.

 I tried to convince myself and said "Maybe Mr. Berry forgot to pay this months electric bill?" He did forget many times so an assumption like that isn't wrong. So, I figured it might just be some power thing. 

But I'm always wrong aren't I?

The moment I took a few more steps to the direction of the cash register, the lights flickered and the darkness took over.

---------

AUTHOR'S NOTE

ouhh who do ya think it is? ;)

also go stream thank u, next. fucking love that album.

go grab a glass of water and eat some food

thanks for reading this chapter and have an amazing day<3

love ya!