Issue #3: Folsom Prison Blues

The next day I was on cleaning duty, apparently we have to do that here. Cleo was with me but apparently she's not allowed to help out when it's not her turn to clean. We were heavily monitored by guards. This was actually her hour of free roam but instead of doing anything of value she spent it hanging out with me. Abner decided he wanted to stay in his cell. I was scraping gum off the floor before some dickhead walked past me. He realized he had toilet paper on his shoe and draped it over my shoulder.

"There you go, champ." He said patting me on the back. He walked away as I glared a hole into his head.

"Four." I whispered.

"What was that?" I looked back over at Cleo kicking her legs back and forth while sitting on a table.

"Nothing, don't worry about it." I said. "You know you don't have to sit around here and watch me. I can handle myself against the lame brains in this shitcan."

"Oh do you not enjoy my company?" She asked.

"No it's not that at all." I told her. I looked up at her and she had a sly smile on her face. She dramatically held a hand to her head.

"No no, I know when I'm not wanted. Oh, how you wound me, (Y,N)." She teased. We both shared a laugh.

"Hey, how come we have toilets in our cells if we also have bathrooms out here?" I asked her.

"The ones in the cells don't work. We had to get bathrooms installed, state mandated. The old toilets barely worked and you'll be surprised how many people killed themselves because they had to sleep five feet away from their turds." I turned my head to see the girl from yesterday with the blue hair walking past us with a garbage bag. Now looking at her she looked kind of familiar. I think she was one of the Superman villains. "So what're you in for, guppie?"

"Guppie?" I repeated.

"Prison slang, keep up, punk." She said moving her glasses up the bridge of her nose.

"I think you're into being in prison a little too much." Cleo said. "You do realize this is the world's most dangerous prison?"

"And I've been here six months and I'm still standing, babe." The girl said sticking her tongue out. "Anyways, spill, why're you in here?"

"If I have to explain that I killed Scarecrow and a couple of my old classmates again I'm gonna-"

"Wait, you killed Scarecrow. The Scarecrow? Cool!" The girl said.

"You killed some of your classmates?" Cleo asked. "Why?"

"I really don't wanna talk about that." I said sternly. I didn't wanna snap at Cleo but it just kinda happened.

"And what's the power dampener for? Is it something good or are you just another reject d lister like dot face and rat girl here?"

"Her name's Cleo, you walking pile of worm food." I said looking over at the girl. She actually flinched before I got a killer headache out of nowhere. I held my head in pain as Cleo got up from her seated position and looked like she wanted to give me a hand but didn't know what to do.

"(Y,N) are you alright?" She asked.

"I... think so." I groaned, still holding my head. Cleo helped me to my feet.

"Alright, cool it, man, I was messing around. You don't survive as long as I have in this place without knowing when to call it quits." The other girl said. "No need to laser my head off."

"What are you on about, now?"

"Your eyes went red for a second." Cleo said. "You never brought that up as part of your powers."