Issue #56: Forget to Remember

"Tell me what's going on with you right now." Cleo told me surprisingly sternly behind the bus. We were in the middle of dropping off the others 5 miles away from the cryogenics lab as a school bus heading towards the known base of Mr. Freeze would definitely have gotten on his radar. "You've been spacing out randomly throughout the day and your eyes... your eyes turn red when you do. I thought he was gone?"

"He is gone. I haven't heard him since the day we first kissed."

"Then what's going?"

"I've been... hearing things. Seeing things. They haven't been nightmare images like you would see if infected with fear gas but they're memories. Fragments of the last couple months of my life before the incident. They've been getting stronger, almost like I'm transported back for a second. And it's-" I'm stopped by Cleo kissing me suddenly for around ten seconds. Towards the end she looks at me before letting go.

"No smoke." She responded. "But if he's still repressed then how-"

"I don't know, Cleo. Maybe since he's no longer in my brain I don't have the barrier keeping the full extent of the chemical imbalance from messing with my head." I said. Cleo was obviously confused. "My schizophrenia is getting worse without him."

"That doesn't make sense."

"Is that what's bothering you about the serial killing fog monster created by his psychology professor?" I asked. "It could be something else."

"What?"

"It could be a... growing guilty conscience. The longer I'm in Gotham the more I remember things I blissfully forgot. With the Lynn family dog I saw one of the strays I turned rabid. In Duela I saw one of the people I had tied up in a chair. It's starting to haunt me. And I don't know how to stop it."

"Maybe you shouldn't be going near the university again. Won't this make things worse?"

"I don't know. But we can't let anyone know what I'm going through right now." I told her before going to get back into the bus. Jane was uneasy about something, I knew it. But I also know Jane won't even think about opening up unless the two of us were alone. Duela on the other hand was playing with some toys in her bag of tricks. She was messing around with a Jack-in-the-Box that had something rattling inside of it (besides Jack).

"You know I never thought I'd be going to college." Duela said. "Never had the grades for it."

"Or the mental stability." Jane muttered.

"Is that coming from Craaaaaaaaaazy Jane?" Duela asked as she started to turn her head in an almost unnerving way. Like she was real close to breaking her head off her neck and turning her head upside down

"Yeah it is, so you know something is really fucked up with you if I'm questioning your sanity."

"Listen no fighting when we're about to be potentially fighting two supervillains."

"Two supervillains? One sounds like a big fucking nerd and the other one is just Duela if she wasn't a complete poser." Jane said.

"Big talk from the pussy that has to hide behind sixty four levels of irony!"

"Better than hiding behind daddy issues!" Jane shouted, inviting me to call her out for her hypocrisy but I have to defuse the situation, not stir the pot.

"Alright that's enough! What did I just say about no fighting!?" I said. "Riddler apparently has been spotted by a run down apartment not too far from Snyder's so searching for the puzzle obsessed green enthusiast is the easy part. Finding Punchline's old dorm is going to be tricky. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a Hotel Chelsea."