Issue #59: Your Numbers Up

THIRTY MINUTES AGO

"Happy Birthday, Dear Mindy~! Happy Birthday to You!" Sydney Allen sang to her sister inside her dorm. Mindy blew out the candles to the cake her big sister had made her from home. Mindy was currently dressed like Princess Peach, not because it was her birthday, but it was also her crush's birthday, and said crush was hosting a costume party at her house, an ironic coincidence considering a lie a certain clown was telling around the same time. Sydney was a brunette with blonde tips on her relatively short hair, around 5'8", and sported a rainbow sweater with blue shorts on, making everyone guess whether she was hot or cold. "What'd you wish for?"

"It's a secret."

"Do you still really believe in that superstition stuff?"

"Yup. As much as I do Santa Claus."

"I'm sorry, did you just turn nineteen or nine?"

"I'm actually about to turn my boot sideways and stick it up your candy ass."

"I've been meaning to bring that up. Combat boots? Really? How princessy of you."

"Your mother."

"That doesn't even make sense." Sydney said before the two sisters shared a laugh. Suddenly the floor underneath Mindy's bed gave way and the bed fell down multiple stories. Sydney let out a sharp breath and held onto the wall. Her sister squeezed her hand.

"It's in your head. The floor is still there. Nothing's falling. You're not falling." Mindy assured her. Sydney took a few deep breaths with her eyes closed and the room went back to normal. "Are you sure you're fine here by yourself for the night? It's not too late to go as a g-... something easy to make a costume for."

"No, I still don't do well in big group gatherings... definitely not ones with costumes involved."

"Maybe I can stay here, then. I can hang out with my friends tomorrow instead and just spend my birthday with you? They'll understand."

"Hey. Don't you ever let me stop you from living your life. I'm fine. I'm better off than I was a year ago. I'm gonna beat this thing, don't worry." Sydney tried to reassure her sister. Her legs had fully healed from her fall a little over a year ago but her psyche was far from healed. It was one traumatic event after another for her. The Scarecrow Attack, the scissors incident, the railing incident, his murder, his eventual return. One could argue trauma followed her everywhere she went long before the Halloween with Scarecrow. But she refused to surrender, refused to succumb to anything. And she refused to let I9K ruin her life. She withdrew from Snyder University after the last Halloween, but immediately started in the spring semester of an online school. When she wasn't working hard for her degree, she was in a trauma support group. And when she wasn't there, she was... self medicating. Mindy got a text on her phone.

"That's my friends. They're ready to go. Are you sure you-"

"Stop worrying about me. Go get laid." Sydney told Mindy.

"If we could keep the sisterly talk about my sex life to a minimum that would be great, thanks!" Mindy said. She then hugged her sister goodbye. "Love you, sis."

"Love you, too, sis." Sydney told the younger sister. Mindy went to leave before Sydney stopped her. "Upbupbupbup!" She took a slice of cake and gave Mindy the rest. "Take the cake. Don't lace it with anything!"

LATER

THE UNDERGROUND

"Hellooooooooo? You jerking off or something?" Jane remembered asking before she suddenly felt like she was being pulled out of the train of thought and back into the Underground. She was surrounded by a thick fog and couldn't see anything. Suddenly she was violently thrown onto the floor. A smoke surrounded the Underground with a cackle as the alters all gathered around to see what was happening. Suddenly Sylvia was now being pulled towards the train as Driver 8 was thrown out by the smoke. The smoke chanted "THE WALLS ARE CLOSING IN THE WALLS ARE CLOSING IN THE WALLS ARE CLOSING IN!" Before the train shot off and away from the Underground. Jane couldn't process what was going on, completely and utterly confused while the more dominant alters told the weaker ones to hide while they readied themselves for a fight. The smoke circled and circled until a Grim Reaper with a red skull stood in front of Jane cackling.