Issue #40: The Kiss

"Thank God you're alright!" Cleo said. She was standing next to me with a bunch of bloody tissues and some bandages presumably from me, but the one I was most concerned with was the bandage wrapped around her arm, with a huge patch of dry blood on it. And her hand twitched every once and a while. "I haven't seen you since-"

"That?" I pointed at her arm. She looked at it and nervously laughed.

"Yeah, that. It's not as bad as it looks. Really." She said as her hand twitched again.

"I heard you almost died of blood loss."

"...Eh." She said waving her other hand in a so-so gesture.

"What does that mean?"

"I mean I guess technically, hypothetically, I could have died. But I mean it wasn't that big of a deal. I just slept for a day."

"You were in a day long coma!?"

"I mean that's what they say but I don't think all of these doctors went to medical school and know what they're talking about. I think I was just tired, really. I always fall asleep right after a mission."

"Well whether or not it was fatal I was still the one who did it."

"Look, what happened in Russia, it wasn't you. It wasn't your fault."

"How was it not my fault? Unless it was Peacemaker who cut through your arm-"

"Well I was the one who ran in after you so I guess we both have blame in it. Now hold still I have to reapply band aids now that I cleaned you up. I think I've washed your face more than I ever saw my father was his." She went to put a band aid on and I moved away.

"Why are you doing all this? Why are you here, you shouldn't be here." I asked.
She looked at me confused.

"...Because you're bleeding?" She said like it should be obvious. Then she shrugged. "And because if I didn't I'd have just added another twenty-five years to my sentence for no reason."

"You what!?"

"Waller and the Harcourt woman were here when I got here. Waller said you wanted to be left alone but I saw you laid out on the bed and I couldn't just not do anything." As she started to describe seeing me unconscious her voice trembled a little bit like it hurt remembering to see me unconscious. She cleared her throat before continuing in a more calm manner. "She told me she'd add another 25 if I went in. I told her I don't give a fuck and pushed her out of the way. Here we are."

"Why are you doing all of this for me? I'm a monster."

"Why do you say that? You're no monster."

"How do I believe that when I've been told that for the last few years of my life almost everyday that I am one?"

"Because Sebastian sensed good in you." She said before holding my hand. "And because I know there's good in you. Because if there wasn't I'd be dead right now."

"That's two people— one of which a rat— versus the word of Batman, Elsa, Waller, Alan, The Media, My Doctors, Mother, Crane-"

"At least two of those people are insane and have any of them besides Waller met the (Y,N) (L,N) from the last month?"

"(Y,N) last month got sent to the biggest maximum security prison in America after making a therapist kill himself and the rest of his therapists go insane and proceeded to kill dozens of people in Russia!"

"They were trying to blow us up! I think you get a pass on those!"

"What about the therapists that just wanted to cure me!?"