Glass

So, a somewhat common (and quite severe, so not too common) punishment that the old empires did to their colonies was to 'glass' them

Because when a ch dies they regen unless the body or heart is destroyed.

Glassing is when  a colony is put into a box or mold and has molten glass poured over them, the glass then proceeds to cool, and the box/mold is taken away, and thus the ch is left encased in a block of glass, unable to breathe so they keep dying/reviving/regening.

Because the colonies were often treated as property, they would be used as decoration as this, until they are forgotten about, which isn't exactly great as they don't really get out, but there is one advantage to bring forgotten.

Due to the colonies having already formed a sort of secret society together, so as soon as they can, they often break into where the glasses country is, and break the glass and free them.

Before freeing their fellow colony, they often wait for the empire to forget about the glasses colony, of which usually takes about a week or two, and then they sneak in and break then out... And they usually just push the glass shards somewhere...

Coming out of the glass isn't the most pleasant thing as glass is often stuck in ones mouth/lungs. But as they had suffocated, they have a quick regen as they revived which if the glass is removed from their insides quickly enough, it usually heals the internal damage from the glass and burns from skin to molten glass contact.

Speaking of which, molten glass is hot, so when getting glassed a lot of their skin ends up with burns and their clothes do get some damage (they can often find tiny shards of glass in the clothing long since they've been de-glassed, not to mention the heat)

Being glassed is not a pleasant thing to go through, and the former colonies know this first hand. This practice has died out in modern times and those who knew about it are happy it did.

And this is yet another reason to hate the European empires.