The First Party - 55

Nala's POV - 

It had been a month since I had met with the director. To say I was happy to get out of here was an understatement, to say the least. 

During the past month, we had worked on procedures and protocols on what I would be doing at a party as an advocate: Getting word to those who I feel we can trust; scoping out any people who I feel we need to take in; keep tabs on some of the people we already have under surveillance, making note of any information that the director could use for use in the future.

It seemed pretty easy - go to a party dressed all fancy, talk to some established people about what we do, mingle, and get information. Not so bad. 

Currently, I was in the room I was assigned, putting a dress on for the upcoming party in 3 hours. 

"Mommy, you look really pretty!" Sera said. 

"Thank you, honey." I was wearing a floor-length dark blue sleeveless dress with a blue rose with gemstones on my left side. There were a few pleats in the dress that added to the physique. 

For the remaining 2 hours I had left to prepare, I put on a natural look of makeup. I had Sera pick out the color eyeshadow and lipstick I should wear. I paced back and forth in the room until I had lost track of time, thinking about how detrimental this party would be. If I didn't act perfectly, and get the information I needed, we'd be in a world of hurt. I wasn't raised to act all fancy and dress up in nice dresses, dance with gentlemen like those of the High Court. I was raised in the dark, left unaware of the world. Someone with an upbringing like me wasn't meant to go to these esteemed parties, but alas, I had to suck it up and act the part. 

A voice drew me out of my thoughts, "It's time to go. It'll take us about an hour to get to the venue, so we must get going now." It was around 4:30, and the party was to start at 6. I turned around to meet my valet. 

"Hello ma'am. Pardon me for being so abrupt, but we need to leave. There are expected to be some minor delays on our way." I nodded my head as the valet turned around and led me out of the room, the twins following me. We led our way out of the building, and into the driveway where a black BMW was awaiting us, the director standing by.

"Remember, the plan, Nala. Attend the Moon Banquet of the Red Dawn Pack. We've had our eyes on their alpha for quite a time now. He's been suspected of high treason, doing biddings with rogue vampire covens. Get information, no matter how big or how small. Keep your head down, and stay alert. Don't draw too much attention to yourself. And wear this," He handed me a small bluetooth earpiece. "Use this to relay any information to me that you can. I'll be listening to you, and your valet will also be listening in to know if there is any oncoming danger. I wish you luck. Sera and Kevin will be safe with us." The director and I agreed that, this being my first meeting as an advocate, it would be best for Sera and Kevin to stay at the base so I wouldn't have to worry about keeping them out of harm's way, and focus on getting used to the task at hand. 

"Well, it's time I go." I bent down to where my children were, and kissed them goodbye. "Stay safe. Mommy will be home in a little while, okay?" Sera nodded, tears dripping down her chin, Kevin holding her close. I smiled at them, got in the BMW, and left. 

-------

It was a long and grueling car ride. Would she see her old Alpha there? The man who abused her for so long? In events like this one, alphas of packs like to send invitations to other packs to see if their leaders and higher-ups would like to attend. Nala didn't know if Reynolds would be there or not. Being kept in a basement, she didn't know when he left for events, only that she needed to be up, have the house cleaned, breakfast cooked, beds made, and the other pack members' homework done before the dawn.