Chapter Two, Big Changes

This photo is not mine- I just think it's cute.

Tom's Perspective

I had already moved in to Edd's small apartment, getting rid of most of my furniture that I had used in my living room. We kept the couch and coffee table as replacements for his though, amongst other things. He had even offered for me to sleep in his bed, but I was honestly much more comfortable on my couch. We had settled into a sort of rhythm after a week, but there were some issues. For instance, when I would shower and he needed to piss. That was awkward, but I'd just look away. It was nice to have more physical contact too. To openly get hugs and enjoy them. It had improved my mood, as well as made me feel less stressed about our current situation. I had also found myself wanting the happy snuggles I had received after crying last week. It had been really warm and intimate. Another part of me shoved those feelings of neediness away. My pessimistic, lonely part. The part I new best, that kept me safe in my comfort zone.

So I listened to it, as I always have. I kept to myself but still accepted his shows of affection like hugs. I couldn't possibly ask for more, he's already doing so much for me. As I prepared for work that night, I gave into my depressive way of thinking so that I could stay emotionless during work. I showed up to the bar and immediately got bombarded with loud noises and flashing lights where the strippers were. Sure I enjoyed the free entertainment, but my head hurt every day after being in such a place. I would need assistance just getting into a restful state after this, it was that painful. I just pushed through my growing head ache and poured drinks for whoever needed it. Some new people came in every day, but I was particularly curious of a pair of men who seemed infatuated with each other. They were speaking Norwegian and giving each other affectionate nudges. I'm not one to assume, or I'd think they're a couple. They could be long time buddies similar to Edd and Matt and I. Regardless, they were customers, and I needed to do my job.

I came over and forced a friendly smile onto my face for the strangers. "Would you like anything, sirs?" I asked and both of them paused their conversation, focusing on me. "å for en søt liten mann. tror du ikke det, Paul?" The taller man snickered and nudged him. "English, Pat. English." He reminded the shorter man who was close to him. Snug even. "Ah- yes- my apologies. I suppose so, do you have any wine here? I'm not a hardcore drinker, I enjoy wine just fine." The Norwegian speaking man told me, and I quickly pulled out a small menu for him. "Take your pick sir, and tell me when you're ready. I'll be back in a moment." I told him and served other customers booze. Once I returned, I saw that they indeed were more than friends. They had gently kissed and were staring into each other's eyes. It was adorable to witness. I stayed silent and waited patiently, wishing to not ruin the moment.

Once they noticed I had returned, both of them became flustered and looked away. I chuckled and smiled genuinely. "Are you ready sir?" I asked and the shorter nodded, glancing at the menu once more before ordering. The taller and more rough man just ordered whiskey, which was fairly regular. I slid my hands across the smooth glass of the wine bottles before finding the correct one. I then took out a wine glass and carefully removed the cork. I could feel their gazes on me, watching me curiously. I'm not a magician, but I do enjoy my tricks. Most of them were with shot glasses though, so I just poured the dark red liquid into the curved glass with a satisfying noise. I slide it over to the couple and continued my routine actions, easily finding the whiskey bottle and pouring it out. I spun it over to them and watched them for a moment. I wanted to see if they approved of the drinks. I don't know why it mattered to me, I just like seeing nice customers satisfied.

The two Norwegian-speaking men conversed a bit before the shorter dark brown haired one tasted the wine. "Ooh! Paul! Try this shit!" He said excitedly and roused a laugh from his partner. He happily held up the glass to Paul's mouth and allowed him to drink some of the savory alcoholic drink. Some of the other customers were nagging, so I had to turn away and continue my job. I would occasionally return to the couple just to watch them or refill an empty glass. It was rare for me to hear many Norwegian accents nowadays, and it always interested me. Any foreign language did, as it would to anybody. But they only sounded Norwegian when speaking it. Then they shifted to an almost American accent and would continue their words as if they hadn't changed at all. How strange to experience, or witness. They must have learned Norwegian and just lived there at some point, or something. Even then, I had never witnessed something like this. At one point I had to take a bathroom break because of all the coffee I had consumed.