Chapter Forty, Take my Hand

Tord's Perspective

At one point near two PM, Tom poked his head in and waved. "It's almost lunch time, if you'd like to join me." He offered and helped me get out of the crawlspace. "Yes please, I was stupid to skip breakfast." I said and stared at the man who was gently holding me, due to the fact that I had just attempted to crawl out with one arm and I wasn't stable. "Everyone makes mistakes." He dismissed my comment and let go of me once I had better footing. I awkwardly took my hands off of him, though he didn't seem to notice my embarrassment. "Do you have a break any time soon?" I asked hopefully and sat down in the chair across from his. I crossed my legs and watched as he sat down. "Tord, I have a question." He said and sat up properly. "I'm listening Jehova." I said and thanked the soldiers who brought food to us. They both saluted to me and then Tom before walking away while keeping form. "Well, both of us are behaving differently than before you woke up from a coma of course. I'm more understanding of the stress you were under as Red Leader, and you're now more understanding of the pain I felt when you wrongly tortured me." He spoke calmly but clearly. He had really worked to improve his speaking, because usually he would mutter or just not say anything.

"So with that, we've treated each other differently as well. I've tried to be more open to you, and I've brought us closer together in multiple ways. What are you doing and feeling? You've been reacting very uncharacteristically, and I'm curious as to what you're thinking and feeling." He spoke openly and I sighed. I had no idea what my thoughts and feelings were, because I'm not really in touch with my feelings. "Well.. I'm trying to respect you more and let you rule the way you think is right. And as for feelings, I'm not really sure. I don't hate you like before, because you've changed so much. I do enjoy spending time with you though, that's why I asked if you had a break." I told him and nervously shifted. I'm not used to talking about my feelings. Tom stared at me and thought about my words for a moment. "I have a break in about an hour, what did you have in mind?" He asked and began eating the fish stew in front of him. I awkwardly looked away and shrugged. "Well, I have something in mind. You'll see." He said confidently. That made me both nervous and excited.

I ate in silence and drooled at the flavors of the grilled chicken salad in front of me. Tom seemed to curiously stare at me as we ate, but I didn't meet eyes with the Brit. "Tord, what do you think our relationship is right now?" He asked as small-talk. I looked up from my half-eaten meal. "I have no idea." I admitted honestly and ate another fork-full of salad. "Hm." He hummed in response and finished his meal. "Well I think that we're growing closer." He shared his thoughts and glanced at the sides we had been provided with. I followed his gaze to the two dishes of white rice with steamed vegetables. He took the side and set his empty dishes back on the tray. I continued to eat until my dish was empty, then following Tom's actions. "Have you got a time in your schedule for working out?" I asked and poured the provided sauce onto my food. It was creamed garlic sauce, which seemed to pair well with the meal I was eating. I took a bite and turned my gaze to the man across from me who was also eating.

His digital eyes seemed to reflect his silence, staring at his food to avoid speaking. Maybe I struck a nerve. I didn't bother to attempt small talk for the remainder of the meal, leaving the man alone. Once our dishes were piled onto the tray, Tom poured out the tea we had been given. He slid a full cup of the hot liquid over me and watched in disgust as I dumped sugar into it. "Tea is supposed to cleanse the palette, not give you a sugar high." He snipped and I snorted at his agitation. "Well sorry Tom, I guess I'm doing it the American way." I scoffed and chugged the heavily sweetened tea. He glared at me as he drank his tea the "proper way". I set down my tea with a smug grin and stared at the pissed Brit. "Why-? You ruined perfectly good tea-." He muttered angrily and I rolled my eyes. I playfully stuck my tongue out in defiance and watched as Tom's anger faded away. Laughing and trying to cover his mouth. I smiled at the amused reaction and watched as he struggled to compose himself. "I didn't expect that at all-." He chuckled and took a deep breath. "I enjoy your company, Tord." He said with a friendly smile. I returned the smile and set my empty teacup on the tray.