Chapter Forty-One, I'm Not Losing You

Tord's Perspective

After the rather fun dance, Tom addressed the group just to say things like "I hope you all had fun" and just reminding people to relax. It was a nice little speech, and I was surprised to feel a small hand tug at my pants as Thomas spoke. I looked down at the young person to see that it was JuJu, who now looked to be around ten or eleven years old. "Oh hello JuJu." I said in a sweet voice and bent down to her level. "Hello sir! Where did your arm go?" She asked curiously and tilted her head. "Oh, I'm just keeping it off because I got a little rash." I told her and she gently pulled me towards a table that had been set up. At the sight of me, a few soldiers left their seats for me. I thanked them and sat down, JuJu standing in front of me. "Why did they say that you went to sleep after you turned into a bug salamander?" She inquired and played with her little dress. I thought of a good way to describe what a coma was to a child before replying. "Well, you see, my body got very tired from being a.. Big salamander.. So it went to sleep for a very long time. I'm awake now, so it's alright." I told her and she continued to regurgitate endless questions like "why is your hair shaped like that" and "can I get her a grape juice box".

Of course upon her request I brought her to the kitchen as she continued to spout questions relentlessly. She cheered as I gave her a juice box, sipping on it and holding my hand as I went back to the table. That shut her up for a moment, though I didn't mind all of her questions. After I sat down, she hopped up into my lap. She just sat there swaying her legs and sipping her juice, until she ran out and threw her box onto the table. "So Mister, when can I get adopted?" She asked me and stared up at me expectantly. I had no idea how to answer that in any way. "I want you to adopt me!" She demanded and hugged me. I felt a tense sickness in my stomach, which was like an intense pity. I gently held her and rubbed her back. I did want to adopt her, like Paul and Pat adopted me as a small kid. "Pleaaassse?" She pleaded and I sighed. "Well kid, I don't have a mommy for you." I told her and she looked up at me with big puppy eyes. "I don't need a mommy! Please adopt me." She begged and I frowned at the sad situation.

"You really want me to adopt you..?" I asked in a sigh and she nodded eagerly. "Please!" She added and I stared at her big pleading eyes. "... Alright.. How about you just try out being my kid for a day? Y'know, a trial run." I told her and she bounced in place. "Yay! Thank you Mister! I'll be the best kid ever!" She said with a big smile. I chuckled and gently kissed her forehead, letting her snuggle up to me. I held her close as Tom's speech ended and he wandered over. "Oh! Who's this little girl?" He asked and she looked over to him. "I'm JuJu! And this Mister is adopting me!" She told him proudly and I nervously smiled. "Oh yeah? He didn't tell me about that." Tom said and looked at me curiously. "Oh well he just said so! For a day!" She explained with a big smile. "Well, you two have fun with that. I'm assuming you'll want to sleep in Tord's room?" He asked and she nodded quickly. "I'll make sure your caretaker brings you some of your stuff there for tonight, okay?" He told her and then gently pulled her off of me. "Go fetch him for me okay?" He ordered her and she nodded, running off.

That left me to awkwardly stare at Tom, who was giving me the biggest stink-eye ever. "You can't take care of that kid." He firmly told me and crossed his arms. "What- Why not-?" I asked and narrowed my eyes. Tom pushed me back on the chair and growled lowly. "Listen, you're a terrible psychopath murderer who has more mood-swings than a pregnant lady. I am not going to let you, a crazily hormonal and disgusting pig, keep an innocent little girl." He hissed and I growled at him. "I would never hurt her, she's a sweet child and I want to care for her." I barked at him and winced when he slapped me harshly. "This is nonsense! You are not adopting a child." He snapped and I held my red cheek. "Fine then. You can tell her that." I hissed and rubbed my now swelling cheek. I watched as JuJu came back with stars in her eyes. Tom sighed deeply and turned to her and her caretaker. Tom bent down to JuJu's level and put on a sympathetic expression.