Chapter Seventy, What's the Pill

Tom's Perspective

After mindlessly watching the television for hours, my eyes were extremely tired and almost in pain. The storm hadn't dissipated, if anything it had gotten worse. So, I tried my best to sleep while curled up on the couch. It wasn't very successful, because of the thunder scaring me awake every two seconds, but it was worth a shot. The commie seemed to have fallen asleep already, snoring quietly with his mouth wide open. I carefully approached his sleeping body and leaned against his shoulder, absorbing his warmth to take as my own. I started to fall asleep once more, the thunder stalling for a longer than usual period of time. I gently hugged his right arm and took a deep breath, getting a good sense of what young Tord smelled like. My brain had sealed off that memory under layers of hate and memories I didn't want to remember, and now it was refreshed. The scent of rain also filled my senses, something that comforted me. My breathing started to even out as I smelled Tord more. It was strange, seeing him in a comforting light.

I continued to breath in his musky, oily, dirty commie scent that had cigarette smoke permanently imprinted in his hair and clothes. It wasn't a good smell, but it was his smell. I nestled my head into the soft but oily side of his neck, with his  perfectly brown hair brushing against my forehead. I started to daze off from my thoughts, my senses dulling as I fell asleep again.

My senses only awoke to the sound of voices that I didn't recognize, sending off alarms in my head. However, I was too groggy to react within a reasonable timeframe. I started to make out what the two unfamiliar voices were saying, they sounded like older men who were lighthearted. "Ey Pat, look, Tord's got a boyfriend." A husky voice snorted. The other voice replied with clear amusement. "I guess it runs in the family. I just wonder why they slept on the couch of  all places." Then a comforting voice came, calming my sense of danger. "Would you two like anything? It's really nice to see you, I'd love to help you to a good lunch." Edd spoke cheerfully. I slowly pried my eyes open and stared at the foreign figures standing in front of me. "Look who's awake, the cute British boyfriend." The more rough looking soldier snidely remarked, nudging his partner. "Oh actually they aren't dating- I really don't know why they're in this position, actually." Edd told the two who seemed skeptical of the situation. I started to realize the "position" I was in, laying on Tord's sleeping body curled up like a baby. His arms were wrapped around me almost like I was a plush, it felt so cozy that I'd stay if I wasn't in this situation.

I sat up with shaky hands that weren't used to supporting my torso, because they had yet to see their first cup of coffee. I awkwardly stared at the trio who was observing us like wild animals. "Erm... I got drunk." I muttered sleepily and rubbed my eyes. "See that makes sense! Tom always does stupid stuff when he's drunk. Y'know, one time he ended up in Tord's closet n-." "Please don't share that story Edd- I don't need third degree embarrassment first thing in the morning-." I quickly cut him off and stretched before almost falling off of the couch. Luckily, Edd was the most awake one and the closest, so he easily caught me before my sleepy self got a concussion. "Let's get you some Irish coffee before you drop-." Edd sighed and helped me up. I tiredly waddled my way to the kitchen, only half listening to Tord's parents talk. Well, I assumed it was them, they talked like they were. I poured myself a fresh cup of coffee from the new batch and mixed in a bit of vodka from my flask, gently stirring it with a small spoon. Edd mentioned something about lunch, I wish he would make it already.

My jumping reflex was cut off by drowsiness when a voice spoke behind me. "Good morning Tom! How are you?" Matt asked gleefully, walking up to my side and drinking his own coffee. I tiredly blinked and stared at him with a dead look. "Hell." I spat simply and took a big swig of my coffee. "Now that's the Tom we all know and love." Matt hummed and opened up the bag of bread, popping a pair of pieces in the toaster. "Would you like some toast?" He offered and I watched as the machine heated up, warming the cold bread loaves. I simply nodded and tiredly leaned on him, too sleepy and fed up with the world already to bother about personal space and physical contact. Matt wrapped a secure arm around my slumped body and gently kissed my forehead. "Such a big sleepy boy." He hummed and I smiled a little. I liked it, being talked to in a nicer way, even if it sounded a bit demeaning. It made me feel warm and safe. "You took your meds right Tom?" He asked and I snarled, pushing away the person I had just felt secure with. "Leave me alone. Go away." I growled and tightly gripped the mug in my hands. I refused to look at the ginger, pissed at the notion that I even needed these stupid pills. For fuck's sake, I don't even know what they even do. Or why I need to take them.

Matt slowly approached me and set his coffee down, each step closer making me more agitated. "Tom, it's okay. I understand that you don't want to take your medication. And you don't have to, I'm just asking..." He said calmly in a sweet voice. It was like he was trying to lure me into complacency. I backed away a bit, but he eventually got close enough to hold me. I set down my mug on the counter and growled quietly, but I didn't resist him. "How about we just have some nice lunch and maybe watch a movie hm? We can go out while Tord's parents are here, taking up room." Matt suggested and I started to quiet down, placing my head on his shoulder. I calmed down considerably before uttering an answer. "That would be nice." I muttered and lightly hugged him in return. I didn't take the time to notice that my legs were shaking until now. Did my anxiety do that? "Erm.. Matt, why do I need those pills anyways?" I whispered and lightly nuzzled his soft skin. "It's just for your anxiety Tom, did Edd or Tord tell you anything different?" He asked and I thought for a moment. I didn't remember much of last night, I just remembered being fed and sleeping.

"Umm... I don't remember." I mumbled and yawned. "I guess, if it's only to help with my anxiety, I'll take it." I sighed and Matt gently rubbed my back before letting go of me. "Are you sure? I won't force you, of course." Matt told me and I nodded, looking down at my quaking legs. Why was I so wound up? Maybe that medicine is really a good idea. Matt left for the medicine cabinet and I collected the toast that had finished. I contently munched on it as I waited for the pleasant ginger to come back. "Here you go Tom." Matt said upon arriving, holding out a pill bottle. I shoved the last of the toast in my mouth before examining the label. It did indeed say take twice a day for anxiety. One at night, and one in the morning. I unscrewed the lid and popped it into my mouth, taking it in with coffee. "Thanks Matt, could you put it in my room where I can get it easily?" I requested and held it out to him. "Of course Tom, and start up some more toast for me while I put it in your nightstand." He told me and left once more. I followed his instructions absent-mindedly as I wondered how these pills might affect me.

I'd assume it just helps me stay calm, but maybe I could react strangely to it? Well, no use in thinking about that now. I'm making something to eat, since Edd's taking a millennia. I fished out some fresh ingredients from the fridge, like turkey sausages, eggs, tomatoes, and some cream. I know my way around a kitchen, all of us do because we took a cooking class both junior year semesters in high school. I started to make a big meal with sourdough bread, chicken, tomato, cheese, and a small bit of mustard as a sandwich, and a few sides that seemed more appropriate for breakfast. Matt had returned and started helping me by toasting the bread with butter on a pan. "It's very nice of you to help cook Tom, I appreciate it." Matt said with a warm smile. I returned with a smaller smile and finished my cup of coffee. This isn't such a bad day, and my legs stopped shaking.