Chapter Thirty, Extinctual Crisis

(Yes the title is a play on existential crisis.)

Tom's Perspective

After Gygjar had settled down in her usual nest, I sat with her and watched as she ripped through the pounds of cooked meat that she had been provided. The huge beast was living in luxury, getting anything that made her happy. She even had a little radio near her nest that played calming music for her. Tord had pointed out other things too, like how she likes to play with bowling balls like they're marbles. Of course, there were also disadvantages to being herself. She had to be monitored by the scientists, and they often drew her blood to observe her DNA amongst other things. However, she was fairly happy in her nest. It was very large, bigger than a two semi's in circumference. It was shaped like a large half-pipe, where she could easily climb in. It was very padded and cushioned, and her enclosure was the entire property.

At least a hundred acres of field, forest, and mountain for her to make her home in. To think that I would live here too in a different universe made me huffy. I wanted to know the full story about everything, but Tord didn't seem to like talking about it much. Whenever I asked, he would avoid my gaze or change the topic. Instead of waiting or impatiently nagging, I took the time to get to know my mother more. Or, well, at least attempt to. I changed into my monster form and was careful not to squish Tord as I nestled up close to my mother in her nest. She excitedly cooed and nuzzled me, giving me as much affection as she could in her form. She groomed my fur and snuggled up to me, as if welcoming me into her nest again. It felt nice to be accepted as I was, by my mother nonetheless.

Eventually she settled down and had me buried under her fur, comfortably warmed by her embrace. I felt like a baby kitten under his mama, but much bigger. I heard Tord's voice comment below on the edge of the nest where he was sitting. "Are you two quite done yet? You've all but tossed me off!" The Norski shouted, drawing my attention to his dangling body. I snickered at the sight and leaned closer to him, picking him up by a claw and helping him sit on the rim again. I could hear him shouting angrily, but I ignored him and settled back down in my mother's loving embrace. She cooed to me warmly and held me protectively, like the most precious thing in the world. I sleepily blinked and closed my large monstrous eye. In this form, I had a perfectly good cyclops eye. No need for a stupid visor, and I can hear just fine without any bothersome hearing aids. Just me, tucked comfortably under my loving mama.

I heard Tord call out to me and I looked down at him. "You don't have to work for me, you can just stay here with your mother if you want. I uhh... Have some important news to share about her, that may make you want to stay with her for a long time." He shouted and I hesitantly wriggled out from under my caring mother, changing back into a human and sitting next to Tord. "What news?" I asked and stared at him worriedly. There are so many bad things that he could be needing to tell me. Tord stared back and nervously swallowed. "Well.. As of late, our scientists assigned to her have of course been searching for another of her species. We've determined that unless there are others of your kind out there hiding as humans, you and your mother are the only ones left.

Your siblings died off long before you, and there aren't any other creatures compatible to your species as far as we know." He told me with a straight face and held out his hand to me, to comfort me in some small way. My species... Is almost extinct. I am one of the only creatures of my kind on this planet. My mother is possibly the last of my own kind that I will ever see again. I'll be alone after that, doomed to be the last of my species. I felt indescribably out of breath. I couldn't move or think of anything else. All of my senses were oblivious at this point, numb as my depressing thoughts overwhelmed me. I was only partially brought back from my dive into terrible thoughts by Tord continuing while slowly rubbing my shaking hand.