Chapter Forty-Six, Confidence

Tord's Perspective

After carefully sizing the artificial skin for Matt's chin plate, I took my time attaching it to his face safely. "Now all I have to do is add a few small stitches, and it'll form onto your skin naturally okay? Then you won't even be able to tell the difference, until it tears." I told him and watched as he nervously fidgeted. Matt was never one for needles. "Here I'll get some numbing cream, and then you won't feel a thing." I reassured him and made his hands hold the artificial skin in place. "I'll be right back, don't move." I instructed him and went to fetch numbing cream from the lab. When I returned, Matt was not moving but staring into a mirror. I snapped my fingers to get his attention and uncapped the cream, slowly smearing it along his skin where I needed to give him stitches. "Just close your eyes, it'll be so fast." I told him and the ginger shut his eyes. After carefully stitching the artificial skin onto him securely, I cut the tan thread and securely tied it. I wiped off the small traces of blood from the needle and closed the kit.

"You can look now." I told him and he opened his light gray eyes, looking in the mirror I usually used to see the back of my projects while working. "When it heals, you'll look completely natural." I explained to him and watched as he ran his fingers along the new stitches. "In the meantime, how about we work on that eye? I have a pretty easy solution for it." I suggested and the narcissistic ginger smiled slightly. "Sure." He agreed and got up from the stool he had been resting on. "Follow me." I prompted and led him into the medical facility. One of the nurses halted in her tracks at the sight of me and walked over. "Is there anything you need sir?" She asked and smiled politely. "I just need one of those fake eye covers, y'know, the kind that Paul is too stubborn to wear for his one eye?" I referenced and she nodded, walking off. Matt nervously held onto my arm and stayed as invisible as possible. Poor boy's never felt social anxiety before this because he was too obsessed with himself.

"It's alright Matt, you don't need to be perfect to be loved." I told him and gently rubbed his arms that clinged to me. He sheepishly smiled and let go of me, trying to not act clingy or stressed. "I can get you a therapist about it if you'd like, our army has a lot of them for soldiers with autism and such, or PTSD." I offered and he seemed to consider it. "... No thanks. I'd rather just talk to you." He said with a sheepish smile. I smiled nicely at him and held out my hand, which he gladly took. "We can talk whenever you want Matt, it's okay." I assured him and watched as the nurse approached with a case in her hands. "Here sir, these are what you asked for." She said before opening up the case and showing me the contents. There were a bunch of different eye colors to choose from, which was nice. I picked out the color closest to Matt's, which was a sort of hazel or blue or grayish color. The weird one. "Here, Matt, can you open you eye wide?" I asked and he nervously nodded before pulling his eyelids a bit more open then they'd go naturally.

"Don't move." I instructed him and carefully placed the fake eye cover over his robotic one. "Can you see with that on?" I asked him and watched as his newly covered eye looked around fairly normally. "Yeah, it just feels a little weird." He reported and blinked a few times with that eye. "Good, I'm glad. Let's go get some lunch already! I'm seriously starving, and finding that stupid artificial skin and sizing it took literally forever." I complained and Matt laughed a bit. "Alright." He replied and followed me as I hurriedly speed-walked to the cafeteria for some lunch. Time had passed way quicker than I thought, but it was worth it to know Matt was soon going to be smiling with pride. I ordered a simple combo dish of chicken soup and some salad, while Matt asked for a grilled cheese with tomato along with mushroom stew. Once we were seated, Matt couldn't seem to stop curiously staring at the compact mirror I hadn't noticed him using ever since I'd seen him with those robotic attachments.

He seemed to be curiously studying himself with a soft smile, content with his new look. "Thank you for this Tord, I really didn't expect it." He politely said and glanced up from his small mirror. "Oh no problem, I've mellowed out a lot after being in a coma.. It's strange, but I like it that way. Somewhat." I told him and watched as he went back to examining his small stitches. "Hey Matt, can you keep a secret?" I asked and he didn't bother to look up. "Sure can, I'll probably forget anyways." He hummed and I sighed, laying back in my chair. "I think.. I'm in love with Tom." As soon as I said it, Matt dropped his compact mirror and stared at me in shock. "Come again?" He uttered with wide eyes. "... I said.. Uh.. Well, I have feelings for Tom. And we kissed yesterday." I told him, which only seemed to rile him up more. "You two are gay-? I didn't expect that! Well, maybe Tom, but only because he's very relaxed and doesn't care about society. But.. You? Wow!" He sputtered and I smiled a bit.

"I don't think either of us are gay, just bi or.. Well, Tom's probably only attracted to me. He's probably not gay." I guessed and Matt grinned. "Still! That's crazy! You two always used to bicker and tried to kill each other all the time! It's nice though, you both seemed like you would die alone." He pointed out and I chuckled. "Maybe we will." I stated and he picked up his mirror. "I hope not, nobody should have to die alone." He said before returning to obsessively staring at himself again. "Soo.. You'll keep it a secret?" I asked and he nodded, smiling when food was set down in front of him. I was also given my meal, which was fresh and delicious.

After eating an amazing lunch, I smiled at the thought of tonight. Is Tom going to take me out again? I hope so, last time made me so vulnerable and comfortable around him. I left Matt to stare at himself curiously, resting in Thomas' room. It was nice being out and away from the public, and it was even better resting my body in a bed that smells like my partner. I curled up in bed and felt my sleepiness from the day kick in. Yes, I am that lazy. I need a nap already. I took a small nap for maybe half an hour, feeling well-rested afterwards. For the rest of my waiting time, I was comfortably settled in Tom's bed while watching television. I barely realized when Tom came in until he stood next to me. "How are you Tord?" He asked and gently rubbed my arm. "I'm okay, I waited for you a while. Um.. How are you?" I asked in return and watched Tom's tired expression turn into a smile. "I'm happy knowing that you're here." He purred and gently kissed my cheek. "Come on now, let's go on that date I promised." He said and helped me get out of my very comfy position in his bed.

"Did.. You steal my hoodie-?" He asked and I grinned. "So what? It's nice and smells like you." I said with a playful smile. He rolled his eyes and gently rubbed my hips, still smiling. "Can I be the dom today?" I requested and he looked at me strange. "What are you talking about-? Both of us are dom-." He stated confusedly. "Well, yeah, but you're the one holding my hips and giving me gentle kisses and stuff..." I huffed and earned an amused chuckle from my partner. "Alright, sure Tord. Be the dom." He told me and let go of my hips. I slid my hand down his arm to his soft and overworked hand, holding it and gently massaging it in my hand. "So, where today kitten?" I asked and he stared at me with clear sass to give. "I wanted to just stay here and eat, but that's not very romantic.. Ugh.. I'm sorry Tord, I'm just really tired from today. There's a lot going on." He told me and I slowly pulled him onto the bed with me. "That's okay Tom, I'm happy just spending time with you."I told him and slowly pulled up the blankets, feeling him shift on me and press his face on my neck.

"I love you Thomas." I hummed and wrapped my arms around him. He relaxed and contently purred in my arms, slowly kneading the hoodie under himself. I closed my eyes and allowed him to comfortably relax on me. "I sort of like this.." He mumbled and purred loudly as I pet his light brown hair. "I really really like this." He confirmed and began gently nuzzling my face. I smiled at the show of affection and gently kissed the purring man. He closed his eyes and kissed back, wrapping his arms around my neck. It felt so natural this way, but it would feel more natural to me if I still had my demon blood. That made me so confident. Tom pulled away from the kiss and rested his purring head on my chest, staring at me. "Tord, you look sad. What are you thinking about?" He asked with a soft and concerned expression. I gently scratched under his chin, earning a chorus of content purrs. "I'm just thinking about my demon blood, it's fine." I told him and laughed when he began drowning me in little kisses.

"Well I'm sure we can find some way to get it back to you. In the meantime, what did you do today?" He asked curiously and kneaded the sweatshirt on me. "Well, I helped Matt cover up his robotic parts to feel more confident. He seems really happy about that." I told him and listened as he made a strange sound. It sounded like a coo, but with a growl mixed in. He made the sound again, still enjoying the pets I gave him. "Are you okay-?" I asked worriedly as he looked at me. "What do you mean? That's my mating call. It just means I'm happy with you." He told me and pressed his cheek against mine, purring profusely. "I thought mating calls meant you were looking to fuck-." i thought out loud and smiled when he kissed my cheek. "Some of them are, and I do have another one. I just never use it." He told me before smothering me in another round of kisses. He jumped like toast from a toaster when there was a knock on the door. He quickly scrambled off of me and ran to the door, opening it.

He had a quick conversation with the soldier who had knocked and sighed loudly. "Fuck- I need to go back to work Tord." He told me and stood at the door, looking back at me. "Oh.. Alright, I'll see you later." I said with clear disappointment. He stared at me with a frown before slowly closing the door. I know that the army is way more important than I am, so it's not surprising. I'm just a bit disappointed that I don't get to spend more time with Thomas. I settled into the bed and closed my eyes. I shouldn't be needy, Thomas is trying his best. I soon fell into a rhythm of sleep and relaxed completely.