Chapter 2

Early October, 1992

"Rachel! Rachel! Where are you?" Justin yelled.

We were playing hide-and-go-seek; I was hiding while Justin searched for me. I couldn't help but giggle a bit.

He's never going to find me, I know for sure.

"Rachel? I know you're here, come out!"

I started to giggle more and more as he approached me. Here it is, it's now or never.

"Gotcha!" I screamed.

"I had a feeling you were here," he laughed.

"I think it's time to go home. It's getting a little dark outside," I said.

"You're such a scaredy-cat, look, if anything ever happens to you, I'd take the guilt."

"Then my dad will probably kill you. Jay, you're just an eleven year old fool."

"And you're a seven year old scaredy-cat," he said.

"Let's just go." I rose from the ground and walked home.

It's been two years now, since I first met Justin. He turned into my closest friend, he knew me like a book, literally.

After that summer I met him, I started to go to a private elementary school for about a year, because Mom thought it would be a good idea to home-school me instead. She said that it would help my modeling career.

Going to school or not, I was still a bright student. My dad said that I got my smartness from him, not Mom, but I didn't believe him. Question to self: How did my parents work it out? They're both different!

Now that I had made a close friend, my parents trusted Justin. They thought that he would be a good role model for me—I myself disagree to this; it didn't matter if he was my role model or not, he's just a FRIEND.

Besides, I thought of Justin like a big brother. He's there to protect me from trouble, support me when I need it.

"You be good Rach, I mean it this time," Justin joked.

"I will. Promise me you'll quit being an overprotective friend, and go home," I snorted.

I gave him a hug, then said, "Don't forget to tell your mom I love her."

"Will do, bye Rach!"

"Bye, Jay!"

As I entered the house, I heard Mom's voice.

"Rachel is that you?" she yelled from the kitchen.

I walked into the kitchen and saw her, in her apron cooking up some grilled fish.

"Honey, I have some exciting news for you!" she grinned.

"Mom, is this big news or is this just one of your 'you have to do your chores' surprise?"

"No, this is big news."

Why is she so cheerful right now, she's scaring me. I think I know what it might be, something about vacation or an event.

"Rachel, I'm talking seriously when I say this. Okay." She tried to compose herself, "you remembered like a month ago, I signed you up for the world beauty contest?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Well, honey, you got in! They want you to be in Boston, Massachusetts by Friday," she cheered.

"Wait, by Friday. When does the contest start?"

"The letter said by next week. Rachel, you're going to be a part of the World Beauty Contest! I knew that you would make it!"