Chapter 9

Late November, 1996

"Hey, Heather." I hoisted her up to my arms, abandoning her room.

"C'mon, let's go to the living room and join Dylan." I carried her into the living room.

Dylan and I have now been going out for four months. I couldn't have been much happier than I was right then. Winter was approaching, which meant my birthday was also coming.

"Hey, baby," Dylan greeted us as we entered the room.

Dylan, Heather, and I were alone in my house, while the rest of my family went out to a formal party. The party was reserved to only invite six people. My grandparents were going, making two of us stay behind.

Mama let Heather and me stay, since she couldn't leave Riley alone; she was only a few months old. She made me stay with someone more mature, because she thought I wasn't mature enough to take care of us. So she let Dylan stay over, but Mom had no clue that Dylan and I were going out.

If she did know then she would have left me with a real babysitter instead of my boyfriend. But I knew soon she would know we were going out.

I sat down on the couch with Heather sitting on my lap, beside my lover. I turned to the television reminding myself that it was Friday. Friday nights meant movies aired all night, movies from all different genres. We tried to pick a kid-friendly movie because Heather was here. I knew if she wasn't there, we would have chosen a horror movie. Oh, something like Nightmare on Elm Street.

Instead, we went with a favorite movie of mine: Pretty in Pink. In the movie, I had a huge celebrity crush on Andrew McCarthy. The only problem was that he's the same age as my parents; yuck! I loved him, but not in that movie. I liked Jon Cryer more than him in the movie. I loved Jon playing Duckie. He was one of my favorite movie characters of all time. As for Molly Ringwald, I thought she was the best actress. I wanted to be just like her.

As I enjoyed watching the movie, Dylan on the other hand was like every other boy that slept through it. Heather and I watched through it, laughing at the silliness of Duckie.

Once the movie was coming to an end, I took the time to plan in my mind a prank on Dylan. Thanks to the movie, I found the perfect idea.

I turned off the TV and rushed to my mom's room. I searched for the items I needed.  The items on my list were red lipstick, pink blush, black eyeshadow, mascara, a white pearl necklace, black eyeliner, fake kid-earrings, a pink hat, and a camera.

I grabbed a huge purse I found in Mom's closet. I placed all the items I needed inside the purse and carried the bag downstairs. Once I came down the stairs, I spotted Dylan still in dreamland. As he slept his snores were loud.

I tip-toed my way to him laying the bag on another couch, beside the couch on which he slept. The first thing I grabbed was the black eyeshadow. I opened the case and leaned over him, brushing it on his eyelids. It was the first time I'd applied make-up to someone, but it was worth trying. It took me a while but I did it. Once I finished with that, the eyeshadow was strong on his eyelids.

I then applied eyeliner with the eyeshadow. Afterwards, I placed blush on his cheekbones. Soon, moving to putting on his jewelry and pink hat, I was almost caught when I wrapped the necklace around his neck, but he only moved his head to the other side.

I finally applied red lipstick on his lips. It took me about four coatings of lipstick to finish my masterpiece. After I had finished, I faced Heather curled up sleeping soundly at the end of the couch on which Dylan lay.

So for that reason, I carried her to her room upstairs. Heather was a great little sister; she was very gentle and sweet, and I loved her to death. As soon as I came upon her room, I laid her down in her crib. I kissed her goodnight before leaving her room.