Chapter 38 ⚜

Early April, 2002

A month later, and I was living with my grandparents. Grandma Janice and Grandpa Fred had been great taking care of me, but I needed to go. Not because of my job, but to get my life back in shape.

I organized to go to New York tonight. Before I left, I decided it was best to spend some time with my Grandpa, since we didn't get enough time to spend with each other while I stayed in their house.

"Are you packed? Excited to go to New York City?" Grandma asked, as she laid my last supper on the dinner table.

"I'm anxious. I haven't been there since I left about thirteen years ago. It's something I'm going to have to get use to." I ate my mashed potatoes.

"You will, honey. All that anxiousness will be gone before you know it." Grandma said. She took a sip of her orange juice. "Maybe some boy will come and everything will change."

"I doubt that. Every guy I meet always wants something of me. They never want to love me for who I am. I bet there's no guy out there for me. There will never be one."

"Bullshit. I know there's a guy out there just right for my granddaughter. I believe it with my heart. You might not know its him yet, but I'm sure he's out there. You just have to look for him. Don't wait for him to come to you. That's not going to work. I know you will try to find him. He might not be perfect, but he'll be right for you. I know when I see it." Grandpa explained.

"I get it. But right now I'm not looking to be in a relationship with anyone. I want to live a little before I start dating again. I'm only seventeen. I'm young I gotta lot of time to spear to go out with someone." I wiped my napkin over my lips. "I'm done." Then I threw the napkin on my plate.

I took my plate to the sink where I washed it. "Honey, you don't need to wash the plate. Go put on your shoes. Grandpa will be waiting for you." Grandma Janice took away my plate from hand and started to wash it for me. "I'm gonna miss you." She yelled out.

"Me too." I yelled back.

I shook off the water from my hands as I left to the front door to put on my shoes. "You ready sweetie?" Grandpa came in the second I finished putting my shoes on.

I nodded. I hoisted my bags from the floor then followed my grandfather. "What do you say we go to the old park we used to take you?" I shut the door behind us.

"I'm up for that." I jumped off their porch.

****************

"I heard Grandma told you about our love story. What did you think about it?" Grandpa Fred intertwined his fingers together.

"I thought it was out of ordinary. Didn't know you had it in you to get Grandma pregnant at SIXTEEN! Plus you were already dating someone else at the same time. Did you love Maggy?"

"Never. I had always loved your grandmother. I was basically forced to like Maggy for two years. I was annoyed from her all the time we had hung out together. It felt like hell every time I was near her. I felt like her dig everywhere we went. Showing me off to everybody. I knew it made Grandma jealous and I loved that she cared for me, but never wanted to confess it."

"Where did y'all first meet?" I was getting so interested in their story.

"At a movie theater. And she was the finest girl I've ever seen. I had to have her the moment I saw her. I didn't care. You might say I was a player myself. And you know your grandmother was named one too." He placed an arm over the bench where we sat. Grandpa cleared his throat.

"How did you guys managed to take care of a baby while you two were in school?" I asked.

"Grandma's mom would take care of the baby during school. After I had graduated from high school, I took care of the baby while Grandma went to school. We had to have our own place while we had the baby. It was perfect. I had my own place, a sexy girlfriend, a beautiful daughter, well paid job, good education. As soon as your grandma graduated, I asked her to marry me. We had a small simple wedding."

"Why didn't your mom approve of her? I know because of her rebel side but what else?"

"Because she was poor. Rich marry the rich. Poor marry the poor. I strongly disagreed with her of that. I didn't care if she was poor or not. I loved her to my fullest and I still do. I will love her till the day my heart quits beating."

"I wish there were guys like you, Grandpa. Guys who look at me more than my beauty and/or fame." I kicked the pedal in front of me to the pond located near us.

"There's plenty of guys like myself. I'm telling you to look for them. They're not going to pop up in your life like magic. You have to go out and find them yourself. This is reality, not a movie."

Grandpa was right about looking for him. I had to take that as advice of finding better taste of men. This was for future reference to myself.

Grandma was one lucky woman to have been able to meet a man like Grandpa. I could see why she'd been attractive to him.I saw a picture of my grandpa from his teens and he was very good looking. He had his black hair slicked back like in the fifties. Dress shirt under his slip over sweater. Nice dress pants.

In a picture I saw Grandma, she wore a thin spaghetti strap puffy dress. Her hair was up in a fancy bun. Old dirty worn out heels. She was beautiful, still is.

"Do you have any advice for me, before I go to New York?" I tucked a piece of hair that fell out of my ponytail.

"Be yourself. That's all I have to say." I smiled at him.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, and said, "I'm going to miss you, Grandpa. I won't see you until the holidays."

"Me too. Don't forget to tell us about your trip to New York when you return, okay?" He kissed my forehead.

"We better go, or else I'm gonna be late for my flight." I unwrapped myself from him.

Time ticked to live in the nightmare city I never wished to live in. It was the best for me to live there until it was time that I'd go back to L.A. I had to give New York a second try. Taste of people do change after years. I might find people there who are cool. Their food might be delicious. Nights will be beautiful.

I hoped I did like being in New York because of right then it was gonna be my home. Good Luck, Rach.

**********

This is the end of PART 2. IF you like to read a spin off of Rachel's time in New York read: Comedian in Love. As of then the next part will be based mostly on Justin's POV. Also another note, as of the end of this book, this book will be UNDER CONSTRUCTION and the main character's last name will be changed. Instead of Foster her last name will be Films. Please don't get confused of why it is Films and not Foster in the spin off. I hoped you all enjoyed reading this chapter. Vote or Comment.

~~~~~~~~Jenny the Bookworm