Chapter 10

Late February, 1997

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Films, will you all please step into my office," Mr. Leverett said.

I sat on the wooden bench as my parents went into the principal's office. Today was the day that my parents were meeting principals to see if their twelve year old daughter could join their school. So far we've gone to four schools and they've all said NO.

My parents strived to get me in, but it was no use, even with my certificate that stated I could start as a junior instead of a freshman. I had to take a test to see if I would either graduate at sixteen, fifteen or fourteen. I was wowed when I found out I was a genius. I almost had a perfect score except one question.

It was all going to be difficult for me to get all my credits to graduate in a short period of time. I would have to have a longer school time to graduate. I didn't care if I had to go to school or not. All I wanted was to get my career. As I waited for them, I could hear them start to argue. I knew from that moment what that meant: no.

Well, at least we tried, that's all that matters. I kinda knew why they wouldn't accept me. It was either they thought I was too young or I was not prepared enough.

Two schools were private schools, while the other two, plus this one, were public. We knew no matter how much we searched for the school, there would eventually be a school that would accept me.

"No, no, I understand Mr. Leverett," Daddy said, coming out of his office.

"Thank you, Mr. Leverett. Have a good day," Mama said, following Dad's lead.

Mom shut the principal's office door. As she did so, her faced appeared gloomy. "Let's go home, Rach." Mom walked ahead.

I knew she was disappointed because she thought this high school was the one. But it wasn't.

Speaking of high school, my boyfriend was planning on going back to school next year. Dylan told me that before he goes back he'll be in summer school, catching up in courses.

I was so happy with him. I knew eventually he would go back. Dylan was planning to be a junior too. But his plan was totally different from mine. He was only home-schooled for three years, while I'd been home-schooled almost my whole life.

Once we got home, Dylan awaited me. He rose from the ground and came near me. "Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Films. It's a pleasure to see y'all again," he greeted them.

"Hello, Dylan, it's good to see you too. Well, we'll leave you two. Robert, let's go," Mom excused herself.

"You take care of her, Dylan, or else—"

"Richard!" Mom hollered.

"Sorry, honey. Give me a sec."

"Richard! Now!"

"Be back at five. If you're not back at that time, I'm grounding you, young lady. You hear me?" Daddy warned.

"Okay, Daddy. Don't worry, I'll be fine."

He then accepted it and left us behind. "So, what now?" Dylan rubbed his hands together.

"How about we go to your house and play some video games?" I insisted.

"Of course. I think I like you even more."

"Why? Because, I'm a girl who loves playing video games?"

He bent down and pecked my lips, before he said, "Yes, now let's go before I change my mind."

"And what do you insist we rather do?"