Chapter 4

Early April, 1994

"Smile, Rach," Peter said, positioning me for a perfect shot.

"Rach, do it for the kids. Make them want to be like you, nobody else but you."

I was posing for the camera, trying my best to have that girly, adorable look. It was hard to get it to be believable.

I was now modeling for Disney, since they called me after I quit the beauty contest. I knew it was pointless from the beginning, but hey, I had a much better job now.

Weeks after quitting the contest, the judges claimed a winner. It was a girl named Janet Summer, who was supposedly the Ariel girl. She was now a famous model. But the last time I checked, I didn't see her face in Vogue or in Us Weekly.

As for me, I was modeling for Disney ads. I'd been working here for about two months now. It's not the most fun job, but I still got paid. I got paid six dollars per hour, everyday, as long I did what needed to do.

But I was jealous because my friend was in a show, acting and singing. He was having the time of his life. Justin didn't make Star Search, but he did make the Mickey Mouse Club. He's now in Orlando, Florida.

We still kept in touch, we talked here and there. But rarely; we were both busy with our lives. I barely even had time to play outside.

The last time we talked was about three weeks ago. He told me something shocking; I couldn't even believe it. He said he made some new friends, like Christina, Britney, Ryan, JC and others. While I was here alone with my family and nobody else.

That's not what shocked me though. What shocked me was the secret he told me not to say to anyone.

Our conversation went something like this:

"Rach, you promise not to say anything? Please?"

"Jay, you can trust me. My lips are sealed."

"Okay, I. . . have a. . . crush on this girl."

"Really! Who is it?"

"Um. . .you've seen the MMC right?"

"Never missed a show. But before you tell me, I have some news for you. I'm—"

"I'm crushing on Britney!"

All out of a sudden, I was surprised, shocked. I guess you can say that I was a bit jealous. It hurt me; I was confused. Why? I just was.

"Justin, that's. . .wow."

"I know, I can't even believe it. I just hope she has a crush on me. Anyhow, what were you going to say?"

"Uh. . .oh yes, I'm going to Orlando in May. My mom, my grandparents, and Sam are going."

"Can't wait to see you! I miss you, you don't know how much I miss you. Well I gotta go, talk to you later?"

"Sure, bye Jay. Go get her!"

"I'll try. Bye Rach, I'm looking forward to seeing you again."

If only he knew, yet I doubt he would. I just wished him the best, besides I was going to support him all the way.

"Rachel, what's wrong?" Peter asked.

"It's nothing."

"Nothing? Something is up with you. I can see it in you. What happened to that sweet, happy, girl?"

"She's never coming back, she's gone." I fell to the floor, sitting on my knees.

I was completely confused, puzzled. Asking myself why was I crying? What's wrong with me?