Chapter 3

"Rachel, we need you to hurry up. You can't waste your time changing," Mom hurried me.

"I'm going," I said.

Why couldn't this woman be patient? I was only a seven year old girl, trying to have a normal life.

I quickly put on my yellow dress. This dress was supposedly a costume. A Disney Princess costume, my character was Belle from Beauty and the Beast, one of my favorite Disney movies. The girls were all dressed up as princesses this week. We were the last six in the contest.

Our pictures were taken yesterday, with the same dresses. Tonight we were wearing them for the judges to see our walk.

Tonight was the night where the judges picked the beauty of all princesses. Mom said that I would win, there's no doubt. She even stated that I was the most gorgeous girl in the competition from the beginning to now.

Sorry Mom, but you were WRONG. I was not the most gorgeous girl in the competition; there were other girls that were more beautiful than me. Even though I didn't know any of them, since I didn't feel comfortable talking to any of them. I thought I just needed one friend, and that friend was a boy named Justin.

"Rachel, are you done? Everyone is waiting for you."

"I'm coming out now."

"Honey, you look beautiful, better than all the other girls. I know you're going to win tonight's challenge," Mom said with confidence.

"Thanks," I said, "so what now?"

"We need to put you in some make-up, then we need to do your hair, your jewelry, then—"

"Okay Mom, I get it. Let's go then."

Before going to my make-up artist, I was stopped by my mom. "Wait, remind me to give you your gift. I know your birthday was last week, but I just didn't have time to give it to you."

"Don't worry Mom, I'll remind you."

"Okay." She walked up to me giving me a hug.

Even though Mom and I fought a lot, I would still love her. I couldn't imagine losing her, I loved her to death. She's my role model.

"Mom?"

"Yes, Rachel?"

"I love you Mom, I will always love you."

"I love you too, Rachel. Always and forever."

"Now come on, we have to hurry; we only have an hour left. And we know that your hair takes lots of time," Mom said, giving me a smile.

I wished Justin was experiencing the same happiness right now. I hoped he won the Star Search contest.

If only I could had given him my birthday gift, but I couldn't because I was across the country. It would have been impossible to give it to him; one, my parents wouldn't have let me, second, I had no clue where Star Search was located.

Which reminded me, I knew Justin was here when

I wore the necklace Justin gave me. I hadn't taken it off my neck; it was special. It was too special, which made it difficult to make him a birthday gift. He deserved somethin' that was as special as the necklace. But I couldn't give it to him, not now, maybe never. All I could say in my mind was:

Happy Birthday, Justin, wherever you are.

*******

"Ladies, we start in twenty," Sandra, the director, yelled out.

"Rachel! Rachel, where are you?" Sandra wondered.

I rose from my station, and ran up to Sandra saying, "I'm right here, is there a problem?"