Chapter 7

Mid October, 1994.

Well, it was all back to normal once we came back from the trip. Back to the real world I called home.

Before we left, I had told Justin my mom was pregnant. He was happy for her; he couldn't wait to meet my new sister or brother.

My mom was now thirty-eight weeks pregnant. She looked huge. I could still remember her skinny belly.

During her pregnancy, she had strange cravings. She ate combinations like sour cream and watermelon, yuck.

But the thing she would beg most for was ice cream. Mint chocolate ice cream was what she always made Daddy get her. The worst part about Mama's pregnancy was that she had to go through was her morning sickness, plus her going to the bathroom pretty much every hour or so.

Her due date was close; she was relieved. I once asked her if she enjoyed being pregnant. She told me it was fun but stressful, but eventually she got used to it.

After all those crazy months it all came down to her baby shower. Mom was getting ready for her baby shower which was going to happen in the afternoon.

We didn't know if the baby was going to be a girl or boy, since my mom wanted it to be a surprise.

Her baby shower was going to be when Sam was at school. She didn't get a chance to be a part of it, but she told me she had been to one, mine. As for Daddy he left to go to some important meetings for some author's book. He wasn't going to come back until evening came.

"Rach, are you ready?" Mama yelled from downstairs.

"Yes!" I ran downstairs where I saw many chairs around the living room.

"Mama, how many guests are we having?"

"Several." She paused. "Come help me with the balloons." She took me to the kitchen, where all the food was prepared.

"Here, help me blow them up," she said, handing me a balloon.

I took it, then quickly blew up all the balloons. We were finishing our last balloons, that was until we heard the door bell. Mama left me then later came back to the kitchen telling me to take the mini sandwiches to the living room.

As soon as I stepped into the living room, I saw several women around Mom's age. Some were her friends, while the other half was her family.

I spotted Grandma Janice and Grandma Heather, my dad's mother. We rarely saw her, because she didn't have enough money to come all the way to Tennessee.

Grandma Heather was another amazing grandmother I had. I loved her to death; she was special to me.

"Grandma Heather!" I ran to her.

"Hello, dear." She brought her soft, smooth hands to my waist.

"I missed you." I wrapped my arms around her neck.

I couldn't let go of her. It was too long, and I didn't want to let her leave me. I had to let go, once Mama told me I needed to stop hugging her, so we could begin the baby shower.

~~~~~~~

The baby shower was a blast. There were many more guests that came. The house was crowded with people and presents.

I wanted to open them, but Mom got enraged with me. So I left to entertain myself with food.

We all ate mini sandwiches, mini vanilla cupcakes, and chocolate fudge cake. The guests drank coffee or tea, while I drank hot chocolate milk.