Chapter 3. Off-Tune Banshees

Steph panicked. She ran into the kitchen. The lights were off; her friends were nowhere to be found. She was about to scream when suddenly the lights went back on. "SURPRISE!" The word echoed in Steph's head, shouted by nine people. When her eyes had adjusted to the light, she saw all her friends grouped around a cake. They yelled "Happy birthday, Steph!"

Steph beamed at them and said "Oh my Notch, guys, thank you! The cake looks awesome!" Ranger managed to quit laughing long enough to choke out "Your face...your face! It was priceless! Happy birthday, Steph!" Steph replied, an enormous smile plastered on her face "Thanks, you guys are the best!" Toxic said "Drumroll, please!"

Everybody drummed on the table as Toxic walked up to Steph with the cake. She said "Ready...three...two...one!" Everybody burst into song. "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Steph, happy birthday to you!" And when they all yelled "CHA CHA CHA" at the same time, it couldn't be described as singing. Not in a million years.

Coco laughed and said "We sounded like off-tune banshees trying to imitate a trumpet!" Everyone was silent. Coco said "What? Everybody's thinking it, I just put it in words!" Steph put a hand on Coco's shoulder and said "I appreciate the creativeness of your thinking, Coco, but try to keep your opinions to yourself for now." She managed a serious face for approximately two seconds before she exploded into a most un-ladylike fit of giggling.

After catching her breath, Steph blew out the candles on her cake. She asked "Can I get the first piece?" Dave said "No." Steph gave him her famous death glare, and he hastily revised his statement. "I mean...of course you can!" Steph smiled and said "Good Dave." That set everybody laughing again. Through her laughing fit, Steph realized that this was the best birthday party she had ever had. She never wanted this day to end.