Chapter 43. Not An Ally

Zero knocked three times on the hardwood door. He heard Herobrine call "Come in, Zero." He heaved against the door and it swung open. He said as he closed the door "I need to speak with you."

As unobtrusively as he could, he turned the lock on the door. Herobrine noticed and his eyes narrowed slightly. He asked "What is it, Zero?" Zero raised his head and let his mouth take over.

"I no longer wish to be your ally. You are merciless, cruel, and too devious for your own good. I renounce all claims of alliance we created. I've made it my goal to destroy you. I give you one and only one chance to surrender."

Herobrine fell silent. He stared at Zero. Then he began to laugh. First it was a muffled chuckle, then it grew until he was panting for breath. Zero's anger grew in turn. Herobrine recovered enough to say "And how do you expect to defeat me?"

Zero gave him no time to think. He swung his dagger in a deadly arc, aiming for Herobrine's head.

Herobrine sensed Toxic's arrival a second before she materialized in front of him.

Toxic grabbed Zero by the wrist, jerking his hand violently, causing the dagger to fall to the ground with a muted clang. She glanced at Herobrine, and he hurriedly picked it up. She studied Zero, then said "Search him."

Herobrine recovered a dozen daggers from Zero's cloak. Once they were satisfied he was unarmed, Toxic grinned. She still held his wrist in an iron grip. "Well, well, well. Who do we have here?" Zero didn't answer.

"I do know who you are, Zero." She said. Zero still said nothing. Toxic turned to Herobrine and asked "How would you usually punish treason?"

"Lifetime in jail." He replied automatically. Toxic shook her head sadly and said "I knew you were going soft." She turned to Zero and said "Don't worry, you won't be killed. It's simply not original."

She tilted her head to the side, then her face lit up in a smile. "I know exactly what your punishment will be!" Toxic turned to Herobrine and said "If we destroy him, we lose a valuable warrior. Plus, to be honest, it's a cliché punishment."

Herobrine nodded, unsure what she had in mind. She said "Do you have any idea what causes treason?" Herobrine shook his head. She smiled and said "The ability to think for yourself."

Herobrine immediately understood.