Chapter 11. Trees Are Deadly

Blaze and Lizzy walked side by side. Ranger had suggested that everyone carrying supplies should be guarded by another person. It had turned out pretty well, and everybody had a companion. Lizzy and Blaze were engaged in a conversation about Minecraft sciences.

"But there really shouldn't be an end to the world. It should go on forever and you come back to where you started." Lizzy said. "Well, that would mean the world was round, and in Minecraft there are only square blocks." Blaze replied. "Well, maybe the world is one huge block! That would work in almost the same way."

Lizzy retorted. Blaze almost gave up when she remembered something. "If that's the case, we should be able to dig to the other side of the world." Lizzy opened her mouth to give another opinion, then she realized she had lost the game. She shut her mouth with an audible clop. Blaze grinned.

"Do not mess with ze Blaze." She said with a dramatic flip of her hair. Lizzy didn't say anything, only walked along beside her, crestfallen. Blaze looked up as a shooting star flew across the sky. It was a beautiful sight to behold. She said "Hey, Lizzy! Look. A shooting star passed by!" Lizzy looked up and saw the star.

She was about to tell the others when suddenly her limbs went slack.

She saw Blaze standing over her, an evil grin plastered on her face.

The world turned into a blurry tunnel, and at the end was a small dot of light. Then the dot winked out, plunging Lizzy into unforgiving black. She knew no more. Ranger chose that moment to turn around and saw the scene. Surprise and fear were visible in her eyes and she stuttered "B-Blaze? You're the traitor?"

Blaze smirked and said "That would seem to be the case, Ranger. And by the way, might want to watch out." Ranger spun around just in time to see a creeper explode in her face. She went flying into a tree, and was knocked out cold by the impact. Toxic whipped around at the noise, drawing her sword when she saw Blaze.

"Blaze! You traitorous double-crosser!" She growled. Coco was by her side in an instant, brandishing a sword. "You're going to have a very bad day, Blaze." She said, swinging the sword in an experimental arc. Blaze smiled and flicked her hands. A deep orange flame flickered to life in her palms and she said "I'd like to see you try." Pro said "Oh, trust me. We will."

And they charged. Blaze waited patiently until they were a few blocks away, then teleported out of range. Turning around, the three watched as she reappeared another twenty or so blocks away. They moved to surround her, but she just teleported away again. This infuriating game played on for a while, until finally Blaze said "You can try all you want. You'll never catch me."

Toxic growled "You're not a gingerbread woman, quit acting like it." Despite the situation, Coco grinned. Bad idea. Blaze smiled and said "It's never a good idea to make Blazey mad." Suddenly a bolt of fire knocked her sword from her grasp. It spun end over end until finally it got stuck in the ground.

When she looked back at Blaze, that insufferable smirk had returned. Coco said "You're surprisingly infuriating when you want to be." Blaze replied "Glad you think so. Now, if you don't mind, I have some work to do." And with that she disappeared. Toxic ran to Ranger and said "She's out cold. We need to make a shelter for the night."

Coco asked "What about Lizzy?"

Toxic walked over to Lizzy and checked for a pulse. Slowly, she stood up and shook her head.

Coco lowered her head.

They built a makeshift house in silence. Coco laid Ranger down on one of the beds and set down several more. Once everybody was inside, they set a watch to make sure Blaze didn't ambush them while they slept. It was futile though; nobody slept a wink that night.