Chapter 18. Splintered

"Why did I do that?" Ranger roared. She was outside, practicing her sword work. She slammed the sword into the pole, satisfaction rushing through her when the pole wobbled. "How did I lose my temper?" She yelled, smashing the sword into the pole again.

"NOW I EMBARRASSED MYSELF IN FRONT OF MY ENEMY!" She roared, thrusting the sword into the pole with all her might. It splintered into hundreds of tiny pieces, flying everywhere within a five-block radius. She felt a hand on her shoulder.

Turning around, she realized Toxic was standing behind her. She asked "What?" Toxic said quietly "You know, it's not your fault." Ranger nodded and said "I know. But everything tells me that it is my fault. That I could have somehow helped." Toxic said "I know how you feel." Ranger was confused. "How?" She asked.

Toxic looked at her and said "We're both going through the same thing, remember? And it's because of me that Coco had to join Blaze. If anything, I should be tearing myself up about this." Ranger instantly regretted what she said. In her rage she had forgotten Toxic's role in the events.

She said in a defeated tone "I'm sorry, Toxic. I didn't mean to sound selfish. Do you need anything?" Toxic shook her head. "No. Seeing you calmed down and not raging about it is good enough." She walked away. Ranger turned to the splintered pole.

Trying to fix it, she picked up some of the wood and put it onto a crafting table. After trying several times, she gave up, realizing that she had broken it beyond repair. Grabbing an axe, she went out into the forest to collect more wood to make another pole. As she chopped the wood, more splinters rained down.

She picked up a piece of the wood, examining it. It still had a bit of the water that had kept it alive within it's bark. Ranger felt a nagging feeling that she was close to discovering a secret and studied it further. Suddenly she dropped the splinter of wood. "So...this is the weakness I was looking for."

She whispered. This was the key to defeating Blaze. This was the weakness. This was the secret. This was Blaze's sole weakness.

Water.