Chapter 39. The Magical Fedora

Steph walked out of the treeline, and with a glare that could kill, she stalked up to them. She growled "I remember Wolf clearly saying "half left and half right." WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME ALONE HERE?"

Wolf sighed and said "Alright, seriously. That wasn't funny. But we found Pro. And Toxic's poisoned and nearly dead. Oh, plus she'll be our enemy from now on."

Steph's eyes grew wide as saucers and she began to hyperventilate. Wolf said "Whoa, calm down! What is it?" Steph gasped "Toxic...not there...flew away...heard a voice in my head...not Herobrine...not Ender!" Then she collapsed, motionless.

Ranger rushed to her side, checking for a pulse. It was there, fluttering faintly against her fingers. Then she remembered what Steph had said and spun around. Toxic was nowhere to be found.

She looked angrily around for Seto, and found him crouched by somebody a few hundred blocks away. With a jolt, she realized it was Blaze. She shouted "SETO! WHAT HAPPENED?" Seto didn't seem to hear.

She grumbled to herself and stood up. Seto stood up as well, but his eyes were locked on Blaze. As Ranger gradually closed the distance, she saw Seto's eyes were burning fierce red.

"What's wrong, Seto?" Seto seemed to snap out of his trance and shook his head. His eyes returned to their normal brown color, but she thought there was still a tint of something in them. Anger? Sadness? Fear? She couldn't tell.

"Toxic...she wasn't affected by the Brine Effect. If she had, she would have went off immediately to find Herobrine. Somehow, she's still in control of her body; at least some parts of her consciousness." Wolf's eyes flew wide open. She had made her way over when she saw Ranger start over.

"So you mean...you mean that she's..." Ranger choked slightly. Seto nodded. "She knew full well what she was doing. She had the power to stop. But for some reason, she didn't. She knocked out Blaze and then left." Ranger stood in silence.

She didn't want to believe what she was thinking. Could...could Toxic be allied with Herobrine? She shook her head, then said "But if they were somehow in league, why would he stab her with that obsidian dagger? What purpose would it serve, other than injuring her?"

"Leading us off her trail." Seto answered. "Not many would expect the villain to mortally wound his ally." Ranger felt a little dizzy. Wolf said "But certainly Toxic has shown she is loyal to our cause, many times over!" Seto nodded, then said "But any number of those times could have been to earn your trust.

"I think we're jumping to a few conclusions, but we have to keep Toxic on our threat list, no matter what may happen." Wolf nodded. Ranger reluctantly agreed. Mineral, Dave and Steph all agreed.

"I'm not sure how this will end, my friends, but I believe in you. Remember this: when the time comes, know your true enemy." Dave looked at him suspiciously.

Seto sounded as if he knew more than they did.

Suddenly, a blinding flash of light erupted in the sky, and spewing from it was white, fluffy clouds that gleamed like silver in what little light the world offered. After a few moments, the clouds dissipated, leaving a lone figure to float in midair.

The figure wore a dark gray coat, dark blue pants, a fedora, and featured a reddish-looking beard. A green cape flowed out behind him. At that distance, it was difficult to identify the newcomer. They looked to Seto, since he was closest to the person.

Seto dropped to one knee and bowed his head. "King Notch."