Chapter 45. Stupid Pigmen

Zero struggled to stay conscious now. One by one, the potion forced him to remember, then forget. One by one, his memories vanished into nothingness. He couldn't let this happen.

He had to fight. But how?

He grunted as another flashback tore through his mind, forcing him to remember. But this one was not quite so far into the past. In fact, it happened recently, while he was under Herobrine's command.

"Lord Herobrine, I'm sorry they escaped. But it wasn't my fault," Zero pleaded. Herobrine gave him a cold look and growled "It was your job to kill Blaze and Wolf. You failed the mission. The blame is on you and only you." Zero bowed his head and said "True. But you never said the one named Wolf was your sister."

Something stirred deep within him at the mention of the name Wolf. It must have been connected to a memory, because he couldn't remember why the name sounded familiar. He knew it was important. He wasn't sure why it was important; he just knew.

Then his eyes flew open.

He knew a way to combat the potion.

He kept the name focused in his mind, picturing it written down. He memorized the name, forwards, backwards, upside down and sideways, until he could recognize it no matter what way he heard or saw it.

He strained the very fabric of his mind for anything on Wolf. Probing his subconscious was easy, as he was nearly unconscious himself. Trying harder, he gritted his teeth, forcing himself to remember something, anything on Wolf.

A promise made is never forgotten.

The memory was erased.

But Zero still remembered Wolf's name, and the promise he made, to find the Wolf who saved him, to avenge his father's death. He remembered.

He could combat the potion.

Toxic entered the room. Zero stared at her blankly. He knew he had to play the part, otherwise he would be in serious trouble. She had a look of concern on her face.

"Zero? Are you alright?" She asked. Zero blinked, then asked "Who is Zero?"

Toxic smirked, obviously believing the potion had worked, and replied "You are Zero. I am Toxic, your commander."

Zero asked "I have a commander?" Toxic nodded. "Why am I chained to a wall?" He asked, tugging lightly on the chains. She smiled and replied "The enemy captured and brainwashed you. They made you think we were the bad guys. We got you back, but you were unstable, so we put you here to ensure nobody else got hurt."

Notch, she had this all planned out, he thought. He smiled thinly and said "Well then...thank you, I guess. But could you unchain me?" Toxic nodded and said "Herobrine? Do you mind?" Flashlight Eyes himself walked through the iron door.

Zero asked "Who is he?"

Toxic replied "This is my second in command, Herobrine," she grinned, then continued "but I give you permission to address him as Saltwater, as you seem so find of calling him."

Herobrine gave her an incredulous look, and she said "Just take off the chains." Zero tried hard not to grin. Herobrine sent a bolt of electricity up the chains, melting them at the halfway point and allowing Zero to stand up.

He looked gratefully at Herobrine, although it was all he could do not to launch himself at Saltwater.

Toxic clapped her hands together and said "Well then, let's get you into training! Let's see if you remember anything at all about swordfighting." Zero nodded and followed them out the iron door.

After a few minutes of walking down a labyrinth of hallways, they reached the training room. Zero's jaw dropped. There were daggers, broadswords, dirks, katanas, bows and arrows, maces, war hammers, battleaxes, single-bladed axes, and throwing knives.

"Holy Notch that's a lot of weapons!" He exclaimed. Toxic nodded and said "Choose three of any kind you want. They will be your weapons for the day." He nodded and walked over to the immense rack of weapons.

He chose a broadsword, a bow and arrow, and a single-bladed ax.

Toxic nodded and said "You will be fighting against zombie pigmen, as they are the closest we have to players. Do the best you can until each wave is done. The session ends when you are disarmed or when there are no surviving pigmen."

She glanced at Herobrine, then to Zero, and said "Begin."