Chapter 69. The Hero Squad

As soon as they were all inside the main hall, Notch slammed the doors shut. Ranger sighed in relief. "Thank you. If I had to listen to them cheer for two more seconds I would have had an Ender Rage."

Notch nodded acknowledgement and said "Heroes of Minecraftia." They all turned. Many looked as if they detested the grand title. "I have a proposition for you."

Ranger asked "And that would be...?" Notch grinned and replied "Each of your strength has been tested, as well as your intelligence and agility. You are truly the best of the best."

"And so, I would like to form a group called the Hero Squad, named after the deed you have done by banishing Herobrine, a feat that nobody, not even my own army could complete."

"You will be my private force of elite warriors, dispatched on classified missions that only myself would know of. Of course, you would receive an acceptable pay as well as permanent shelter in my castle."

"Your job would be to track down rogue knights and assassins who are a threat to Minecraftia's safety. So, what do you say? Of course, if you need time, you have five days."

Wolf grinned. "I only needed two seconds. Count me in." Ranger said "Action? Mystery? Adventure? You got me there. I'll go for it." Similar comments were made by everyone.

Except for Toxic, who stayed back a little.

Dave noticed, and said "What about Toxic? She can't join unless you free her of the charges." The room fell silent. All eyes were on Notch now, including Toxic's. Skepticism filled her gaze.

Notch hesitated. Then he began to walk toward Toxic as he said "I speak these words before all of you here, so that no mistake can be made as to where I stand on the matter." His expression was grim.

"Toxic, as you are all well aware, betrayed you. She was the puppet master, and the one who attempted to kill several members of the group." Notch began, and their blood ran cold.

They didn't dare to speak as Notch continued "But...she also saved your lives several times, killed the Ender Dragon who had forced her to become evil, betrayed Herobrine, and helped Wolf when she was in need."

Notch grinned, his grave demeanor vanishing completely. "And it is because of those events that I proclaim Toxic free of all charges, and a proud member of your team, if she wishes to join the Hero Squad."

Toxic didn't hesitate this time. "Are you crazy? I'm in!"