Chapter 31. Mohawk Dog

Wolf was in her room. Nobody else was there. She was alone. As soon as she had teleported away from her friends, the memories of her childhood spilled over. And there she lay, for nearly a half hour, crying. She couldn't believe her friends would react in that way.

It reminded her so much of what people would do when they saw her as a child. Granted, she was little more than a teenager now, but what difference did it make? Age was just a number. After a few minutes, she realized how childish she must seem.

Standing up, she looked around her room for the one thing that always comforted her. She spent another half hour trying to find him. At last, there he was: her pet wolf Kleo. He had been downstairs, sleeping on one of the chairs. Kneeling beside him, she buried her face in his fur.

The warmth of his body heat soothed her. Kleo must have realized she wasn't having a good day, and he turned to look at her with curious eyes. Wolf smiled briefly, then hugged him. Kleo began to lick her tears away. Laughing, Wolf attempted to push him away, but it was no use. Kleo was unstoppable.

The determined dog didn't give up until all Wolf's tears were gone. By this time, Wolf was rolling around on the floor. God, it tickled! "Stop it, Kleo! Stop it!" She said through giggles. Now she was crying again, but they were tears of happiness. No matter what, she could always count on her dog to treat her as if she was any other person.

It felt good to know that he didn't care whether she was a Brine or not. As always, Kleo made her feel complete. Now that Kleo was satisfied there were no more tears, he brushed her hand with his nose. Wolf knew what he wanted. She picked him up as gently as she could manage and carried him to her room.

Once he was there, he hopped onto her bed and barked. Wolf had to cover her ears. "Kleo, you're going to wake the dead!" She shouted. Kleo only barked again. Sighing, she climbed in with him. Immediately she was smothered by fluffy fur. "Kleo, you do understand that I can't breathe with you standing on my head, right?"

After a few tries, Wolf gave up. Kleo eventually moved to the side a bit so she could breathe. Wolf started petting him, flattening the fur on his head. Then, suddenly, she got an idea. It was so diabolical, it was perfect revenge. She held out a hand and charged it with electricity.

Holding her hand out over Kleo's furry head, she had to laugh. Kleo's head fur was sticking straight up. Kleo seemed to notice and was trying to see on top of his head. Now, he was going cross-eyed trying to see his new hairdo. Wolf very nearly died of laughter. Kleo had a mohawk.

Kleo growled and pushed his head into the pillow, attempting to flatten it back down. This, of course, didn't work. He turned to look at Wolf with accusing eyes. He seemed to be saying "You. You did this to me." And, of course, the look on his face only made Wolf laugh harder.

After a few minutes Wolf regained composure and flattened his fur down for him. Kleo looked at her gratefully. She felt another giggle fit coming on, but pushed it down. She had some business to attend to. Nodding briefly in farewell to Kleo, she vanished. Not a trace was left of her; at least, not that Kleo could see.