Chapter 36. Leverage

Zero paced the floor of his room, mumbling to himself. His hands were clasped behind his back, and his eyes flicked constantly back and forth. Finally, with an exasperated cry, he slammed his hands down on the desk.

He couldn't help Herobrine any longer. But he had sworn on anything he held sacred. So he was stuck here. Unless...

Zero carefully thought back to his parents. Both were dead. He was an only child. No siblings. He didn't have a wife or children. Come to think of it, he didn't have any family at all.

The only thing he really held sacred was his diamond sword. As long as he held it, he would have to work for Herobrine. At last, he began to understand why Herobrine had made him swear his allegiance.

Without a leverage, he couldn't make Zero stay as his ally.

The sword was the leverage, since Zero would, predictably, continue as his ally to keep it undamaged.

Zero didn't enjoy what he had to do, but he knew it must be done. He pulled his sword from the scabbard on his back. He held the hilt in one hand and the blade in another, turning it over, studying it.

He walked to stand in front of the fireplace. The heat pounded against his skin, but he didn't care. He looked into the fire. In the dark orange light, his eyes seemed to glow red.

Then he began to recite his own oath.

"With this sacrifice, I rid myself of my last connection to Herobrine. He will not have leverage against me, and so he cannot control me. I swear the solemnest of oaths that I will do everything within my power to stop Herobrine from gaining absolute control over the world."

He was still speaking when he flung the sword into the flames.

(Sorry it's a bit short. I'm writing this right before I have to go to school, so I'm a bit rushed. I hope it's still good, though! In the comments, tell me who saw the plot twist coming. NO LIES. *slaps* BAD.)