Chapter 41. Amazing Odds

Had Seto not set an example, there most likely would have been chaos among the heroes. Instead, they each went down on one knee and bowed their heads, as Seto did. Wolf seemed quite nervous.

Notch flew down and landed before them. He said "Greetings, heroes. I have come to make an important announcement." Seto stood up, as did the others. Notch said "You have fought admirably to defeat Herobrine. But Herobrine is not your true enemy."

There were confused looks from all around the gathered heroes. Notch went on "Toxic is your true enemy. She is the puppet master, and Herobrine is simply a decoy leader."

"WHAT? No I'm not!" Mineral shouted. They all turned to look at her. "He said Toxic, not Mineral." Ranger said. Mineral said exasperatedly "I know that, idiot! I know what he said!" Seto turned to her, then said "Mineral, I don't know what's wrong with you, but you're Mineral."

Mineral looked down at herself and she looked like she was about to pass out. She stuttered "But...how is that...I'm not Mineral...I'M TOXIC!" She shouted the last two words.

Seto looked curiously at her.

"Seto, I think Mineral needs some assistance." Notch put emphasis on assistance, and Seto knew what he wanted. He pulled a syringe from his cloak and filled it with the orange liquid.

He injected it into her. She slowly began to fall to the ground. He caught her before she could hit her head and laid her down gently. Seto examined her heartbeat, breathing, her eyes, and her ears. "She doesn't seem to be sick," he said, "but insane is a very possible thing."

Ranger facepalmed. "So, let's see here. Toxic is evil overlord. Cloud and Lizzy are dead. Steph, Blaze and Mineral are unconscious. Pro is too exhausted to move. Anything else I'm missing? No? Okay, good. Now tell me this: how many capable fighters do we have now?"

"Well, we have three. Me, Dave, and you, not counting Notch and Seto." Wolf said. Ranger threw up her hands and said "THIS DOESNT SEEM LIKE AMAZING ODDS, PEOPLE!" Notch hurried to reassure her "Don't worry, as long as Seto and I are here, both Herobrine and Toxic will hesitate to attack. I won't allow my prophecy to die."

Ranger nodded and said "So, how about this: we wait until Pro's rested, those who are unconscious wake up, and then go find Herobrine and Toxic. Good idea?" She addressed the last part to Wolf.

Wolf held up a hand to forestall her. "Hold on. I've been thinking, and it's entirely possible that Mineral is not Mineral, but Toxic instead. She may not be crazy." Ranger looked at her, then began thinking a hundred miles an hour.

Dave said "So we know Toxic is a wolf-hybrid. That means she can shape shift from a human to a half wolf." Wolf continued on for him "For shifters, it's extremely easy to take on a different form that they're not used to."

Ranger began to understand.

"So if Toxic was helped by another person," Ranger said, "she could shape shift into that person's appearance. And if that person had magic, they could change themselves to look like the shape shifter." They all came to the conclusion at once.

"Toxic is not our enemy, Notch. Mineral is."