Chapter 44. Promises

"I created it myself, using the blood of the Ender Dragon and a few other secret ingredients I'd prefer to keep secret. It targets the part of the brain that houses memories. So, in summary, it brainwashes the victim, so when they wake they won't know better than to obey our every command."

Herobrine nodded. He suspected as much. "When does it take effect? He questioned. Toxic grinned and replied "As soon as it is injected into them, it begins working. It doesn't take full effect for a few hours though, so we'll have plenty of time."

Opening the reinforced iron door, they walked into the jail cell where Zero was being detained. As he was chained to the stone brick wall, there was little chance of him escaping. Toxic knelt down beside him and pulled out a syringe.

Zero glared daggers at both her and Herobrine, but they ignored it. Toxic said "Don't worry, it'll be relatively painless." Zero didn't believe it for a second. He struggled against the iron chains trapping him against the wall, to no avail.

A swift jab, then...nothing? Zero looked questioningly up at Toxic, who had gotten to her feet and had made her way to the entrance of the cell. "Is that it?" He asked, somewhat bewildered. Toxic smiled and replied "No, but I'll leave you to figure out the rest yourself."

Zero scowled. He hated these situations. Well, he couldn't admit he had been in this specific situation before, but ones like it.

Usually he escaped.

A flashback tore through his mind, forcing him to remember his past.

Tyton was riding his favorite horse, Shard, a pure white mustang he had tamed himself. He was quite proud of his own name. It sounded noble. In addition to being noble-sounding, it was awesome to say out loud, and hear other people say it.

He heard his father calling him. "Tyton! Come to the house, and hurry!"

He sensed the note of panic in his father's voice. Digging his heels into Shard's flanks, he shouted "Come on, Shard!" As if his voice was a trigger, Shard shot away from a standstill like a bullet, heading for their house.

When he reached the log cabin they called home, he jumped off Shard while the mustang was still slowing down and ran for the cabin. Almost knocking the door off it's hinges, he slammed it open, eyes already searching for his father, the only living relative he knew.

No sign of him.

Tyton's voice cracked hysterically as he called "Dad? Dad, where are you?"

There was no answer.

Abandoning his position by the door, Tyton began to turn the house upside down, searching every room, every niche, every place a person could hide, and yet he was unsuccessful. At last, he found himself running out the door.

Taking a few wobbly steps so he was in the short grass, he fell to his knees, tears painting streaks down his face. "Dad..." He whispered, clutching the grass like it was the only thing keeping him from falling over.

He felt a hand on his shoulder.

He looked up, hoping against all hope that it was his father. It wasn't. Instead, he saw a man that looked like Steve, the legendary brother of Notch the villagers told him stories about when he was bored, or when he finished his chores.

But Steve's eyes, according to the townsfolk, were purple-blue. This man's eyes were white. Glowing white. Only one emotion showed in them, and that was all the sadness the world could never hold. He felt a flash of pity for this strange man.

Then he felt nothingness.

When he woke in his bed, he jumped up, about to go rushing off, when he saw the note on his bedside table.

"Dear Tyton,
The man you saw was Herobrine, the evil brother of Notch, and a former close friend of mine. You're lucky to escape with your life. I showed up before any fatal damage was done. He knows you survived your injuries, and he'll be coming for you soon. I suggest you change your name, move far away from here, and learn to fight. Herobrine will come looking for you. Your father's diamond sword and helmet are on the table on which you found this note. He is dead. I was too late to save him.

Best of luck,
Wolf."

He knew he had to do as this "Wolf" person suggested. He already had a name he could use. He always fancied himself as a Zero. So why not take on the name permanently? Slowly, he picked up his father's helmet. It was Roman-style, with a red plume at the top, which he loved to play with when he was a young child.

Picking up his father's diamond sword, he made a promise. That he would never forget his father, or the man who killed him. That he would someday thank the person named Wolf, and avenge the death of his father. And with that promise made, he placed the helmet on his head.

The first memory was erased.