Chapter 59. Shadow Spikes

Ranger almost laughed out loud at the look on Toxic's face. "Mom?!" Toxic asked, bewildered. Blaze grinned and said "Toxic, meet Scarlett, a powerful sorceress. Also known as my mother."

Scarlett didn't take her gaze off Toxic. She didn't even acknowledge Blaze's introduction. "So. You're the infamous Toxic that threatened my daughter?" Toxic swept into a bow and drawled "The one and only."

And she was knocked off her feet by a blast of fire.

After a few seconds, Toxic reoriented herself in midair and landed in a defensive crouch. "Fire the best you can do?" Toxic taunted. Scarlett's eyes narrowed slightly.

"Oh, no, this isn't even close to the best I can do."

A bolt of crackling lightning shot from her hand and struck Toxic. Then, Scarlett flicked her wrist, and the lightning sent her flying into the wall. When Toxic stood up, her eyes burned with hatred and anger.

"My turn." She snarled, and an enormous blast of poison green fire leapt from her palm and flew toward Scarlett, who didn't even move into a defensive position when she saw the firebolt.

Toxic grinned. Too easy. The grin vanished quickly when the bolt dissipated upon contact with an invisible shield wall. Scarlett raised an eyebrow. "Fire the best you can do?"

Now she had done it. Toxic's eyes narrowed. She held out one hand. After a few moments, swirls of darkness appeared, surrounding her palm like a funnel. Soon, the shadow solidified into jagged spikes, and everybody but Scarlett took a step back.

Toxic said "This is a new move I've been working on. Have fun avoiding it." And the shadow spikes lashed out. Scarlett simply held her hands in a defensive position.

The first spike would have gone through her chest.

Scarlett simply flipped over it, easily avoiding the spike. The second spike came at her as soon as she landed from the flip, and she jumped straight into the air just as the spike cleaved through the air she was standing in before.

She landed on the solidified shadow, using it as a platform to jump over the third one, which came at her from an angle. Somersaulting in midair, Scarlett landed in front of Toxic, all kinds of magic at the ready.

Toxic stumbled back a few paces, throwing a blast of green fire blindly, which Scarlett stopped with one hand and crushed. Toxic had backed up against the wall, and Scarlett began to speak.

"You made several mistakes in this. One: you threatened my daughter." She began. Toxic remained silent. "Two: you tried to kill her friends." Toxic didn't acknowledge the accusation. "Three: you forgot about someone."

Toxic looked confused for a few seconds, and she looked around. Then, understanding dawned in her eyes, and she barely had time to cry out before the Blaze King himself dropped from the ceiling and knocked her out cold.

Blaze grinned and called from across the room "Good one, Dad!"