Moonfall

A short thing of how I think various hermits would react to the crash.
———

The brotherhood held one simple belief: they alone would survive. Some would call them a cult, but they knew they were right.

Mumbo knew he was right.

So as all of his friends fled this earth, he stood, chest puffed to face the moon as it grew ever larger.

And when it finally came crashing down, he, despite his belief, did not survive.

I owe to the brotherhood what they have given to me, moonfall, moonfall, we will survive.
——

Cleo died once, didn't like it, decided, why not? She could stand to die again. Maybe this time it would stick.

She was so tired of her meaningless existence, god, her life was miserable. Every day she fought- for food, for blocks, for the very air she breathed. Pleasure was a sparse, fleeting treasure that was hard to come by these days.

When moonfall came, she welcomed it with open arms and a delighted smile.

The next time she opened her eyes, however, she found herself faced with her maker, laughing at her. He asked her if she thought it would be that easy to escape.

She responded with a manic laugh of her own.

Will this be the end? Moonfall, moonfall, save me, I cannot bare to live another day.
———

Doc, perhaps, was a little stupid.

He was underground when the sky fell, and, in fact, had been underground for the months leading up to it. He didn't know what happened until months later.

When he found out, he collapsed, a heap of bones and metal parts, his chest heaving with so many sobs he was late to crying.

Gods spare him. He did nothing.

Moonfall, moonfall, I'm so sorry to have missed it. Please, bring them back.
———

Scar's breath fogged the glass of his spaceship window, his hand smudged the pristine surface. His throat clenched with so many emotions.

His home. His life. Everything he had ever known. It was a miracle that even his two feet were left standing. The planet he had once called home had been obliterated, just like that.

Tears dripped down his cheeks, down his neck, his eyes puffed an ugly red, and when he found the knife on his desk, he used it as god intended.

Moonfall, moonfall, I survived the fall, but could not live in the wreckage of the crash.
———

-Yours, the author