Not in love, but close enough

Song is slow dancing in the dark by Joji. Good song, good artist. He just dropped a new album, you should listen to it. It's pretty good.

A bit of catharsis, I guess? Happy breakup fic. Beetho because I'm a creature of habit.
———
It wasn't so much dancing as swaying, but they called it dancing nonetheless.

Beef took the lead, one hand holding Etho's, the other wrapped around the smaller's waist, his head resting on top of the silver hair buried in the crook of his neck.

They were listening to some slow, sweet breakup song, slow enough to match their heart rates as they swayed.

The lyrics quite accurately described them.

They weren't in love, not anymore, at least.

Even on decidedly romantic nights like this, there was nothing between them. Even as they held hands, rested their bodies against each other, there was no romance, not even as they pressed kisses to foreheads and cheeks, to the fuzz of Beef's beard or the caress of Etho's hair. They were simply signs of platonic affection, nothing more.

Etho gently squeezed Beef's hand, a shaky sigh leaving his lungs. Why had they even gotten together? It had been a stupid crush on his part, and that all of their friends were getting together. Why not, right?

They found out quickly they were better as friends.

But they didn't stop dating.

All their friends cooed about how perfect they were together. They fit each other like a glove, or something. Neither had the heart to say what was really going on.

Eventually, they stopped swaying, Beef standing rigid and tall, framing Etho's smaller, wiry body with his own. It was peaceful. Nearly silent. Just crickets, heartbeats, and breathing.

They sat like that for what felt like hours, thoughts pleasantly blank as they nestled into each other. Even they  could have been fooled to romance by the scene, but of course they weren't. They had tried it out, and it hadn't worked. Now it was time to move on.

Etho pulled his head from Beef's neck, leaning back to get a better look at the older's eyes.

Cerulean blue met mismatched red and brown, both gazes decidedly blank and unromantic.

"We should break up."

They were the first words spoken since they got up to dance, and they came from Etho's masked mouth, slow and final.

"One more song."

It wasn't a question or request, but it wasn't a demand either. More like a wish. One last night as lovers, under the stars. Not in love, but close enough.

"One more song."
———

Yeah idk either.

it's lookin like schools gonna eat my ass, and not in the fun way either. Shit sucks but idk. Not much time to write.

sorry.

-yours, the author