Chapter 44

We pull back from each other.

This can't be happening.

Minho looks up to where the voice came from, but I stare ahead, not wanting to face reality.

"Jisung!"

I hear footsteps rush towards the stairs, two pairs to be specific. One running like there was a real emergency, another trying to keep up behind.

Minho's hands grip my sides tighter, not knowing where to go or what to do.

Eventually, I see Seungmin reach the base of the stairs, Jeongin behind him looking scared and worried.

"Jisung, who is this?"

Minho turns slowly to look at Seungmin.

Jeongin's face changes to a slightly more relaxed expression when he realizes who's with me, but to the naked eye his face might not have changed at all.

"Jisung, who is this!?"

Minho jumps at Seungmin's yelling, it also kind of pulled me from my slightly dazed state.

This whole time we've been talking in hushed voices to keep as quiet as possible. But all that was thrown out the window when Seungmin caught us.

Seungmin's yell could most definitely reach the third floor, and it did. Not a minute later, Chan's black clothed figure peered over the edge of the balcony to see what the noise was about.

It didn't take him too long to notice the extra body and spring into action.

While Chan made his way to us, Seungmin started scampering more.

"Wh-who are you? Let go of Jisung!"

"H-hyung, calm down! It's ok!"

Jeongin moved to stand between us and Seungmin, trying to get him to settle a little.

Seungmin almost ignored the younger completely, only glancing at him once then back to us.

Soon enough, Chan came up to Seungmin on the stairs, sweaty and worried. He shoved past the youngest members, harder than he probably meant to, and stepped on the ground floor in front of me and Minho.

I've seen Chan angry before. We've all shared emotions before and know what we look like when we're happy, sad, or angry. But never in my years of being in this team have I seen Chan switch emotions so quickly.

"You."

Minho stood taller, not saying anything.

"Yo- I-I told you to stay away from Jisung!"

Behind Chan, Jeongin looked more scared than before. He moved forward to hold Chan's arm, which was slightly trembling out of sheer anger.

"Hyung, please calm down. This isn't what you think-"

"Get off me, Jeongin. Go stay behind Seungmin." Chan shook the maknae off.

Seungmin grabbed Jeongin's arm and pulled him behind himself.

Chan walked closer, coming to Minho's chest.

"I told you to stay away from my team. I warned you what would happen if you stepped foot near any of them ever again!" Chan shouted in Minho's face.

Pure terror struck my chest by Chan's words. He didn't mean-

*BAM*

I covered my ears and crouched down to the floor out of instinct. If I yelled, I didn't hear it. I didn't realize my eyes were closed until I tried to look around to see darkness everywhere.

When I opened my eyes, I see Seungmin on top of Jeongin, protecting him from the gunfire. Chan's shoes were still planted firmly on the ground, and Minho was bent down a little, his hand pushing on my back to keep me down.

I look up to see Chan standing with perfect posture, holding a handgun out in his two hands. Pointing it past me and past Minho, to the wall behind us.

Minho stops pushing on me and turns around to see where Chan shot, me following suit.

When we looked, it wasn't Chan who shot the gun.

A/N:
😶🙈